Feb 18, 2011, 3:44 PM EST
Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com reports that Brandon Webb was “sore” following an eight-minute bullpen session yesterday, which is to be expected from a pitcher who hasn’t seen game action since Opening Day of 2009 because of shoulder problems.
For now the Rangers are planning to have him throw every three days–rather than the standard every-other-day schedule for most pitchers in camp–which means he’ll take the mound again Sunday barring any setbacks.
As pitching coach Mike Maddux explained: “This is a guy that hasn’t thrown for two years. We don’t want to put the cart before the horse with him. We’re going to take our time. We have to build some strength.”
There’s no timetable yet for when Webb will begin facing live hitters or advance to game action, but the Rangers are still hopeful that he’ll be ready for Opening Day after signing Webb to an incentive-laden one-year contract that guarantees the former Cy Young winner $3 million.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 2
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 28
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)