Feb 19, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Carlos Beltran will do a “baseball-type running program” over the next week to 10 days, after which a decision could be made about whether he will make the move to right field or remain in center field.
Still, in his comments to the media today, Beltran sounded like someone who was comfortable with the idea of making the switch, as long as it will help protect his surgically-repaired right knee and allow him to prolong his career.
Is this as good as the knee is going to get because you’ve had the winter off from baseball wear and tear? Is this about protecting the knee long term? Or can the knee still improve?
“In my heart, I feel it’s going to get better. But, at the same time, I’m looking forward also. I want to play four or five more years in the big leagues. If it’s better for me to do that and move myself to another position, why not?
So you could become a corner outfielder for the rest of your career?
“If it doesn’t get better, my knee, and if it continues to stay the same, probably yes. Hopefully one day I start to feel better after all the work I do, and I can get back to center field, I would love to, because that’s where I feel comfortable.”
Aaron went over the situation the other day and while there’s little doubt that putting Angel Pagan in center field is the right decision for the Mets on paper, Beltran would have quite a challenge ahead of himself. The 33-year-old hasn’t played right field since 2000 as a member of the Royals and playing right field at Citi Field isn’t exactly a picnic, either.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 86
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 92
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (192)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (93)