Feb 19, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Carlos Beltran will do a “baseball-type running program” over the next week to 10 days, after which a decision could be made about whether he will make the move to right field or remain in center field.
Still, in his comments to the media today, Beltran sounded like someone who was comfortable with the idea of making the switch, as long as it will help protect his surgically-repaired right knee and allow him to prolong his career.
Is this as good as the knee is going to get because you’ve had the winter off from baseball wear and tear? Is this about protecting the knee long term? Or can the knee still improve?
“In my heart, I feel it’s going to get better. But, at the same time, I’m looking forward also. I want to play four or five more years in the big leagues. If it’s better for me to do that and move myself to another position, why not?
So you could become a corner outfielder for the rest of your career?
“If it doesn’t get better, my knee, and if it continues to stay the same, probably yes. Hopefully one day I start to feel better after all the work I do, and I can get back to center field, I would love to, because that’s where I feel comfortable.”
Aaron went over the situation the other day and while there’s little doubt that putting Angel Pagan in center field is the right decision for the Mets on paper, Beltran would have quite a challenge ahead of himself. The 33-year-old hasn’t played right field since 2000 as a member of the Royals and playing right field at Citi Field isn’t exactly a picnic, either.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)