Feb 19, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Carlos Beltran will do a “baseball-type running program” over the next week to 10 days, after which a decision could be made about whether he will make the move to right field or remain in center field.
Still, in his comments to the media today, Beltran sounded like someone who was comfortable with the idea of making the switch, as long as it will help protect his surgically-repaired right knee and allow him to prolong his career.
Is this as good as the knee is going to get because you’ve had the winter off from baseball wear and tear? Is this about protecting the knee long term? Or can the knee still improve?
“In my heart, I feel it’s going to get better. But, at the same time, I’m looking forward also. I want to play four or five more years in the big leagues. If it’s better for me to do that and move myself to another position, why not?
So you could become a corner outfielder for the rest of your career?
“If it doesn’t get better, my knee, and if it continues to stay the same, probably yes. Hopefully one day I start to feel better after all the work I do, and I can get back to center field, I would love to, because that’s where I feel comfortable.”
Aaron went over the situation the other day and while there’s little doubt that putting Angel Pagan in center field is the right decision for the Mets on paper, Beltran would have quite a challenge ahead of himself. The 33-year-old hasn’t played right field since 2000 as a member of the Royals and playing right field at Citi Field isn’t exactly a picnic, either.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte