Feb 19, 2011, 6:08 PM EST
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Carlos Beltran will do a “baseball-type running program” over the next week to 10 days, after which a decision could be made about whether he will make the move to right field or remain in center field.
Still, in his comments to the media today, Beltran sounded like someone who was comfortable with the idea of making the switch, as long as it will help protect his surgically-repaired right knee and allow him to prolong his career.
Is this as good as the knee is going to get because you’ve had the winter off from baseball wear and tear? Is this about protecting the knee long term? Or can the knee still improve?
“In my heart, I feel it’s going to get better. But, at the same time, I’m looking forward also. I want to play four or five more years in the big leagues. If it’s better for me to do that and move myself to another position, why not?
So you could become a corner outfielder for the rest of your career?
“If it doesn’t get better, my knee, and if it continues to stay the same, probably yes. Hopefully one day I start to feel better after all the work I do, and I can get back to center field, I would love to, because that’s where I feel comfortable.”
Aaron went over the situation the other day and while there’s little doubt that putting Angel Pagan in center field is the right decision for the Mets on paper, Beltran would have quite a challenge ahead of himself. The 33-year-old hasn’t played right field since 2000 as a member of the Royals and playing right field at Citi Field isn’t exactly a picnic, either.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (75)