Feb 19, 2011, 10:29 AM EDT
According to Aaron Fitt of Baseball America, Florida International University shortstop Garrett Wittels went 0-for-4 in last night’s season-opener against Southeastern Louisiana, ending his hit streak at 56 games.
Wittels was in pursuit of Robin Ventura, who established the all-time NCAA Division I record when he hit in 58 consecutive games with Oklahoma State in 1987.
That’s the baseball spin, but you might remember that Wittels and a group of friends were arrested and charged with raping two 17-year-old girls while vacationing in the Bahamas in December. According to the Associated Press, the case is not expected to be resolved for a few months.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 72
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47