Feb 19, 2011, 10:29 AM EDT
According to Aaron Fitt of Baseball America, Florida International University shortstop Garrett Wittels went 0-for-4 in last night’s season-opener against Southeastern Louisiana, ending his hit streak at 56 games.
Wittels was in pursuit of Robin Ventura, who established the all-time NCAA Division I record when he hit in 58 consecutive games with Oklahoma State in 1987.
That’s the baseball spin, but you might remember that Wittels and a group of friends were arrested and charged with raping two 17-year-old girls while vacationing in the Bahamas in December. According to the Associated Press, the case is not expected to be resolved for a few months.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (81)