Feb 19, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
It’s hard to argue with what the Red Sox have done this offseason. They signed the best position player available in Carl Crawford and acquired Adrian Gonzalez, one of the best all-around first basemen in the sport. They also bolstered their bullpen with the additions of Bobby Jenks and Dan Wheeler. Most impartial observers believe that they deserve to be called the favorites in the American League East.
According to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, Mark Teixeira and that ragtag bunch of Yankees are ready to embrace their new-found “underdog” role.
“We’re the underdogs this year,” Teixeira said. “I love it. No one is picking us right now. Everyone in here should be looking forward to winning a championship. When you put on the pinstripes that is exactly what your goal should be every year. I think everyone understands that just because the public may not be picking us it doesn’t mean we don’t believe it in here.”
Says the guy who plays for a team with a $200 million payroll. Maybe this is a byproduct of playing in the ultra-competitive American League East, but comments like this always remind me that the Yankees live in a completely different universe than most everybody else.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)