Michael Young arrives to spring training, doesn’t want to talk to Jon Daniels

Feb 19, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT

Michael Young dugout

As expected, Michael Young made his way to Rangers’ camp in Surprise, Arizona earlier today.

Young quickly cut to the chase upon his arrival, taking questions from the media about his recent trade request. According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Young said that he will not address trade rumors this spring.

“I’m here to get ready for baseball season,” Young said. “This is the time of year that I love. I’m excited to be here and I want to get out and play. After all this is done, I still have a season to get ready for. The whole day and a half I spent driving here, this situation wasn’t on my mind; getting ready for the season was. I’ve had a couple of candid conversations with Nolan Ryan. He knows where I’m at and I know where he’s at. To address trade rumors would disrupt my teammates from getting prepared for the season and I’m not going to do that.”

Young also said that he doesn’t want to put any more “gasoline on the fire” as far as his current situation with the club, but added that he doesn’t feel there’s any need to speak with Rangers general manager Jon Daniels. He’s not very good at this, is he?

1. drunkenhooliganism - Feb 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM

On a related note, Miguel Cabrera reported to camp after having a long conversation with Jack Daniels

• baseballisboring - Feb 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Excellent.

• Old Gator - Feb 19, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Voted thumbs up only once ’cause that’s all it would let me do. Woulda given ya five if I could.

2. baseballisboring - Feb 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM

It’s kind of funny, because we’d never be talking about this half as much if Young wasn’t whining to the media left and right (though I think his quotes above are pretty innocuous). He’s just…not that good, who cares if he gets traded? He should be grateful he’s in the situation he’s in. If he had been a free agent after 2010 he’d have been with a different team, in the same role, making probably $5 million. I know, that’s an outsider’s perspective and I wouldn’t really expect Young to look at it like that, but I think it’s safe to say that the “ultimate team player” thing is completely out the window now, right?

3. luckywi - Feb 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM

D.J. : “in regards to” is grammatically incorrect. regard and regards are different words.

• D.J. Short - Feb 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Fair enough. Thanks!

• luckywi - Feb 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

It’s just an overused statement. Drives me nuts. I blame my Mom beating grammar into me. Not litterally of course. And Young has to be lying saying he never thought about it over a day and a half drive.

• Glenn - Feb 19, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Nice spelling, Mr Grammar Police.

• motherscratcher23 - Feb 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM

luckywi: Didn’t you make the same correction a few days ago in regards to a different post?

Let it go, man.

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM

There’s a period after “Mr.” in “Mr. Grammar Police, Glenn.

• obo1892 - Feb 20, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Literally is spelled, “literally,” not, “litterally.”

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2494)