Feb 19, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT
As expected, Michael Young made his way to Rangers’ camp in Surprise, Arizona earlier today.
Young quickly cut to the chase upon his arrival, taking questions from the media about his recent trade request. According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Young said that he will not address trade rumors this spring.
“I’m here to get ready for baseball season,” Young said. “This is the time of year that I love. I’m excited to be here and I want to get out and play. After all this is done, I still have a season to get ready for. The whole day and a half I spent driving here, this situation wasn’t on my mind; getting ready for the season was. I’ve had a couple of candid conversations with Nolan Ryan. He knows where I’m at and I know where he’s at. To address trade rumors would disrupt my teammates from getting prepared for the season and I’m not going to do that.”
Young also said that he doesn’t want to put any more “gasoline on the fire” as far as his current situation with the club, but added that he doesn’t feel there’s any need to speak with Rangers general manager Jon Daniels. He’s not very good at this, is he?
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)