Feb 19, 2011, 9:31 AM EDT
Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski just spoke with the media in Lakeland, Florida and said that Miguel Cabrera will be evaluated by doctors before reporting to spring training.
Here’s Dombrowski, courtesy of Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports:
“He’s cooperative and realizes he has an alcohol problem and he fell off.”
Dombrowski doesn’t have a specific timetable for Cabrera’s return, but he told Tom Gage of the Detroit News that he hopes to have a better feel for when he’ll be in camp by the middle of next week.
Interestingly, Passan reports that similar to Josh Hamilton, Cabrera’s agency SFX had someone who traveled with him in support last year. We can only assume that he didn’t have that same level of support during the offseason.
Cabrera’s rehabilitation is the most important part of this story, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com wrote this morning that Cabrera is unlikely to be suspended for this week’s DUI. Dombrowski echoed that opinion, telling Gage that he would be “surprised” if MLB levies any penalty or suspension.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)