Feb 19, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon told Dejean Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that agent Scott Boras will act as his adviser. Of course, Boras must be called an “adviser” for now because Rendon is still an amateur.
It shouldn’t be a surprise to see Boras involved with the highly-regarded Rendon. The 20-year-old underwent ankle surgery during the offseason, but he is widely considered the early favorite to be selected No. 1 overall in June’s draft, a pick which just happens to belong to the Pirates.
As indicated by Kovacevic’s tweet, there’s some history between the Pirates and Boras dating back to when Pedro Alvarez was selected No. 2 overall in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft. Boras demanded that the Pirates renegotiate Alvarez’s contract after he claimed that the contract was submitted to MLB after the August 15 deadline. The Pirates placed Alvarez on the restricted list and Boras eventually got his wish.
It’s impossible to know whether history will get in the way of a potential deal with Rendon now that Boras is on board, but the Pirates could also consider University of Connecticut outfielder George Springer or UCLA right-hander Gerrit Cole with the No. 1 pick.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 43
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (109)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights