Feb 20, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez might not be in the proverbial “best shape of his life,” but he did show up to Yankees camp this weekend with a trimmer self.
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the 35-year-old Rodriguez dropped from 233 pounds to 223 pounds this offseason and slid his body fat from 12 percent to nine percent.
Rodriguez has played in at least 116 games in each of the last 15 seasons, but he will turn 36 years old this summer and knows that he needs to stay ahead of the curve fitness-wise to remain an effective third baseman over the course of his massive contract. The DH spot is spoken for this year and should probably be inhabited by Derek Jeter in two years or so.
A-Rod slugged 30 home runs, batted .270/.341/.506 and tallied 125 RBI over 137 games last season.
Watch, Cowboys Stadium popcorn will become a staple for the next great dieting fad.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 18
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 3
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)