Feb 20, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
The Rangers are going to start Mitch Moreland at first base in most of their games this season. He posted a decent .833 OPS, nine home runs and 25 RBI over 173 plate appearances last year and played pretty strong defense.
So, where does that leave 24-year-old infielder Chris Davis? A new team, maybe.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, David said Sunday in Rangers camp that he has come to terms with the fact that he might be traded this spring or at some point this summer.
“I have to come to terms with it,” said Davis. “I might not be with the Rangers my whole career or even this season. I understand that people look at me as a guy who has had some success and then struggled, that I might be a guy who they would view as being a ‘change of scenery,’ candidate. I want to be here. But if they move me, I don’t know that it would be a bad thing.”
Davis, 25 in March, has posted really good numbers in the minor leagues. Last season, he hit 14 home runs with a .903 OPS and 80 RBI in 444 plate appearances at the Triple-A level. In 2008, he slugged 23 homers in 77 games between Double-A and Triple-A.
The talent is there, but he’s never been able to put it all together in the big leagues. Maybe that would change in another uniform. He can play both corner infield spots and he is not even eligible for salary arbitration yet. The Rangers should find a good amount of trade interest if they really want to put him out on the market.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 52
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (81)