Feb 20, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT
Rejecting contract offers this late in the offseason is a little crazy. Rejecting contract offers this late in the offseason from the Yankees is even crazier.
Ladies and gentlemen, Kevin Millwood…
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Millwood has turned down a minor league contract offer from the Yankees because he is seeking something with more of a guarantee.
The Indians have also expressed interest and may eventually buck up with a big league offer and guaranteed roster spot, but the Yankees were reportedly willing to sign him to a contract with a structure similar to Freddy Garcia’s deal, which could potentiality pay out over $5 million this season when you factor in all of the performance-based incentives.
Millwood, 36, went 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA, 1.51 WHIP and 132 strikeouts across 31 starts last year for the Orioles. The Yanks are continuing to talk with him.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)