Feb 20, 2011, 9:55 AM EST
Yeah, that should probably be put to rest now.
Castillo revealed Sunday in Mets camp that he was being held up due to a private family matter.
His 50-year-old brother was undergoing serious emergency surgery. The second baseman told ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin that he would have raised the issue earlier had he known what kind of backlash he would be getting for showing up Saturday, the first day that positional players were required to report.
“I know my situation here, and I try to be practice baseball,” Castillo said. “That’s not easy, because my brother is my family.”
Either way, it’s not that big of a deal. If Castillo isn’t going to make the Mets’ Opening Day roster, it will have nothing to do with his arrival date. Plenty of lazy players get to camp early and then get no better from February to March. It’s up to the 35-year-old Castillo to now put on a show and prove that he is worthy of regular looks at second base under the Metropolitans” new regime.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)