Adrian Gonzalez hits off a tee

Feb 21, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Newly acquired Boston Red Sox player Adrian Gonzalez smiles during a news conference at Fenway Park in Boston

Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal reports that Adrian Gonzalez has been cleared to begin hitting off a tee and did so this morning. Feeling fine and no need to consult with a doctor as was previously suggested he might. He’s supposed to begin live batting practice soon.  So that’s some good news for a Red Sox Nation that has had nothing but … oh, wait. They’ve basically had nothing but good news since November. Forget I said anything.

Speaking of tees, this weekend I bought my son a regulation tee, a couple of balls and a glove. This on the heels of a recent declaration that he wants to play t-ball this spring.  Then — before I gave them to him — he told me that he’d rather play soccer. The equipment is now sitting in my trunk, for I fear that if I give them to him now I am officially that dad who pushes his kid into stuff he doesn’t want to do.  Of course, if I don’t give them to him, he’s going to go through childhood thinking that soccer is a real sport or something.

Parenting is hard, yo.

1. phukyouk - Feb 21, 2011 at 2:20 PM

“Of course, if I don’t give them to him, he’s going to go through childhood thinking that soccer is a real sport or something.”

Craig, if this happens i will call ACS on your ass.

2. heyblueyoustink - Feb 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Maybe you could bribe him into giving tee ball a try? Seems to be the rage these days

And there’s nothing wrong with a Futbol every now and then……count your stars he doesn’t fawn over Nascar or, heavens forbid, World of Warcraft or something……

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 21, 2011 at 2:37 PM

You’re lucky all the Warcrafters (or whatever they call themselves) are playing their game right now or else they’d pounce all over you with nerdy retorts combined with sexually-repressed rage.

• trevorb06 - Feb 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM

That has to be the comment of the day. Hands down.

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Feb 21, 2011 at 2:51 PM

The sorcery stone of Isdor will not summon itself.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Trevor – Their hands are USUALLY down

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM

They’re pretty easy to ward off….simply open the blinds and allow the sun to shine into grandma’s basement and viola!

• phukyouk - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM

we are called WoWheads TYVM.

• Chris K - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

You’re right. It’d be pretty funny if the nerdy World of Warcraft players all came out of their basement and fought all the stat-friendly baseball bloggers in each other’s mom’s basement.

Good point!

3. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Feb 21, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Adrian Gonzalez hits off a tee

So he is simulating facing the Pittsburgh Pirates rotation?

• spudchukar - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Beat me to it Rosie, but I believe he is preparing for the Yanks, #4 & #5.

• baseballisboring - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I heard he was preparing for the #3 by watching breaking balls in the dirt.

4. spudchukar - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Craig, I sympathize, but here is a worse scenario, I am heading to Florida for a two week adventure to Spring Training sites, but I am being forced into spending three of those days watching my girlfriend’s son play Division II Lacrosse.

5. Jeremiah Graves - Feb 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I recommend stalking him around the house and around school and whatever with a bag full of soccer balls for the next month or so–obviously you’ll want to be wearing a luchadore mask, but that goes without saying–and every time you have an opening, you chuck a soccer ball at him as hard as you can.

Now sure, sure…this probably falls under the “bad parenting” umbrella, but it’ll undoubtedly create some sort of deep-seeded fear/hatred/loathing/etc. for soccer that will be replaced by the loving, comforting embrace of baseball.

Baseball is safe. Baseball doesn’t break your nose in the hallway between classes. Baseball is what keeps the fridge full and the TV running. Baseball is your friend…

The plan practically writes itself…

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2645)