Aroldis Chapman has an interesting tattoo

Feb 21, 2011, 4:00 PM EST

Aroldis Chapman

David Villavicencio of FoxSports Florida.com notes that Aroldis Chapman has an interesting tattoo on his left wrist: “a baseball with a trail of flames and the inscription ‘105.1 MPH.'”

Interesting, but troublesome, at least if you’re a pessimist like me. I mean, what if something happens to him someday and he can’t bring the gas anymore? And his efforts to make a comeback as a junkballer fall flat?  And he finds himself sitting in a half-empty, decaying mansion, depressed over the glory that was denied him by the cruel fates?  I mean, at that point he’s going to have no choice but to go all Ash-from-Evil-Dead on his arm, getting rid of the tattoo and everything past it?  That’s the only logical outcome to all of this, right?

In other news, the biggest thing holding me back from getting a tattoo is not the pain or even how it would look, but rather the mortal fear that whatever I got would be lame and/or culturally or personally inoperative within a couple of years.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Wouldn’t that tatt be in honor of throwing 105.1 MPH in the past? Why would he have to change it ever if he has already accomplished the task? Sure it would look a bit ridiculous if he changed styles to something less sizzlin’-heat-based, but since he DID throw 105.1, he can rock the tatt until the end of time, no?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I thought that was simply his favorite radio station.

• Old Gator - Feb 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Maybe he could get another one that say “10.4 inches” and he can wear that one until he’s about my age.

2. randomdigits - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM

What if he throws one at 105.3 this season? Does he get a new tat? Does he end up with a string of them going up his forearm?

• klbader - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I will be sad if he ever throws more than 105.1 mph if only because that would mean that the Reds decided to make him into a reliever rather than giving him a chance to shine. I left reliever who can throw 105 mph is something special. A left starter that can throw 96-99, if he has the control and the secondary pitches, is legendary.

3. heyblueyoustink - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I got a few tats Craig……really after the first one you don’t think like that anymore……unless of course you do the taboo and sig others names and faces on there……kiss of death…

shop smart, shop S MART

4. baseballisboring - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Are we even completely sure he did hit 105.1? I don’t know if I trust that reading…that is one hard ass pitch, but maybe.

And yeah, I have the same philosophy on tats…I usually like them on other people, but I’m 21…I can’t think of anything I’d still like when I’m 45.

5. Panda Claus - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Wouldn’t it have been more ironic if in getting the tattoo on his left pitching arm, an infection developed that ultimately hurt his velocity? Glad it didn’t happen, but still, makes you wonder why people don’t just get t-shirts made anymore.

What if we find out this year that the radar gun that tracked his 105.1 was calibrated 1/2 mph too fast. Uh-oh, better change that to read 104.6. This silliness reminds me of the commercials where Dale Jr. was considering a number change from “8” to “6.7”. Just kidding everyone, he’s not changing from 8. Oops.

6. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Craig, how about tat of lawyer biting a rattlesnake? That would always be in style.

7. bigxrob - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

If he becomes a junk baller, he can get a tattoo of Jamie Moyer on his other arm

8. Brian Murphy - Feb 21, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Thinking about future style never comes into play with tattoos. I know this isn’t PBT, but basketball players are a great example. You think that Superman “S” on Shaq’s arm is going to be looking good in a few years? It’s laughable now because he is so broken down. LeBron James has “Chosen 1″ displayed boldly across his back. That will be ridiculous soon enough.
    And don’t even get me started on girls and their tramp stamps.
    Most tattoos lose their meaning and bravado as we age*. But hey, there’s no need to worry about that in the present.

*Unless you get something like the Anheuser-Busch eagle across your chest or Jack Daniels on your bicep. You can always be a sturdy alcoholic.

9. cur68 - Feb 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM

My old man has his Centurion Tank tattooed on his right forearm. He drove it at the Suez Crisis in ’56-’57. That never gets old or looks bad.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester