Jon Heyman really, really doesn’t like Luis Castillo

Feb 21, 2011, 11:11 AM EST

luis-castillo-mets2

Jon Heyman’s recent tweets about Luis Castillo have caught my eye, as the SI.com writer seems to have a very strong dislike of the Mets second baseman.

It started with this bit of reporting last Thursday:

among overpriced #mets on bubble, word is ollie perez will get more time to show he belongs than luis castillo. #choppingblock

Fair enough, but then two days later Heyman wrote:

#mets should release castillo, bring in eckstein and immediately boost their attitude/karma

OK, now he’s moved from reporting to either analysis or campaigning for someone to lose his job (and to David Eckstein, no less), depending on how you choose to look at it. And just a few hours later, Heyman tweeted this follow-up:

i am sick of luis castillo already this spring, and im not even in port st lucie anymore (and neither is he there, by the way)

The “and neither is he there, by the way” part refers to Castillo not reporting early to Mets camp. He arrived by the time position position players were required to be there, but Heyman and several other mainstream media members repeatedly took him to task for not getting there early.

Later we learned that Castillo didn’t arrive early because his brother is undergoing emergency surgery that the second baseman called “a big problem.” He made the mistake of not telling the team about the situation and manager Terry Collins explained that he never would have brought up Castillo’s absence as an issue had he known the reason. But that didn’t stop Heyman from tweeting the following this morning:

luis castillo showed only yest bec brother had surgery, he said. a hospital make good for blowing off walter reed? #excuses

So, if you’re keeping score at home: Within the span of three days Heyman tweeted that the Mets should release Castillo for “karma” reasons, noted how “sick” of Castillo he is “already this spring,” and then linked Castillo’s brother’s emergency surgery to not visiting sick children at Walter Reed hospital last year, using the hash tag “excuses” about someone’s family member undergoing a potentially serious operation.

Seems like kind of a strange grudge for a reporter to hold and repeatedly make public, but I guess Castillo must deserve all that for arriving at spring training on the day he was supposed to.

1. yankeesfanlen - Feb 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Did Heyman really have THAT MUCH bet on 6/12/09?

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

One of the many reasons I can’t stand Heyman.

3. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Feb 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Heyman’s a jackass, using his platform to ridicule and bully. Perhaps we can mock him the next time a member of his immediate family is in the hospital and he misses breaking a trade rumor. Or we can just be decent people and ignore him. Which do you think Heyman would do?

4. oldtimefamilybaseball - Feb 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I really don’t understand this you have to show up early to be on time thing. If they wanted you there early, why not make that the mandatory date! It’s like if my job told me work started at 9, but I kept getting yelled at for not showing up at 8:30.

• jwbiii - Feb 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

If they wanted you there early, they’d put a bonus clause in your contract. Put your money where your mouth is or shut up. Mandatory reporting dates are a CBA issue, so teams can’t just tell everyone to show on January 2 or something.

5. BC - Feb 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Not that I’m particularly endeared to Castillo, but Heyman is a chipwich.

6. trevorb06 - Feb 21, 2011 at 11:42 AM

season ain’t even started and I’m sick of Heymen. You’d think that guy worked for Fox News or something.

Who’s starting up the SI to fire Heymen group?

• hasbeen5 - Feb 21, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Or MSNBC

7. Panda Claus - Feb 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Unprofessional is the first word that comes to mind when decribing Hey!Man!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM

*is waiting for someone to do a Jon Heyman parody using Filter’s “Hey Man, Nice Shot*

• trevorb06 - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM

*Is wondering when they Jon Hymen jokes will come.

8. bcopus - Feb 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Wait…you mean there are jobs out there that don’t require you to be early and don’t pay you for it? Since when?

9. fightoffyourdemons - Feb 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM

The Phillies are not the mystery team.

NEVER FORGET

• fightoffyourdemons - Feb 21, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Seriously though, how does Heyman still have any credibility? And wasn’t he one of the ones who got all weepy over Jerry Manuel being supposedly mistreated? I seem to remember him complaining that people were too happy that a man had lost his job. You know, exactly the same thing he’s doing here.

10. Jonny 5 - Feb 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Man, them’s fightin’ words… I guess Heyman wouldn’t want to run into him in a dark alley huh?

11. xmatt0926x - Feb 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Wow. I’m not a Castillo fan by any means. I think he’s one of the main examples of whats wrong with the Mets, not necessarily from a talent standpoint, but the other stuff that just gives a team bad Karma. That being said, Jihn Heyman really does come off bad here. It’s funny. When all the hot stove stuff was going on it seemed like heyman was being ripped by guys on here and some guys from other major websites and I thought people were just picking on him because it was the thing to do at that point in time. Maybe they know something about the guy after all. Sometimes little things people say can tell you all about that persons character. To say that the brothers surgery was somehow payback from the Walter Reed thing was totally classless and maybe that exposed what Heyman really is. He comes off real petty and non-professional.

12. Charles Gates - Feb 21, 2011 at 12:48 PM

The how do deal with Jon Heyman issue is interesting. For the above reason, and a few others, I try to avoid him. Yet at the same time, he does have legitimate scoops from time to time. Yes, I know they’re all painted in shades of Boras, but we all know that when we read them.
    He’s different from Joe Morgan in the fact that Morgan, as delusional as he is/was, didn’t seem to have an agenda. ‘Ah, that was the most effin stupid thing I’ve ever heard, but that’s just Joe Morgan that said it’ will no longer be heard on Sunday nights in my living room. He said dumb stuff, but he seemed to do it innocently.
    Heyman, however, seems to always have an angle, and in the case of Luis Castillo, I don’t know what it is. And for this, beyond the obvious ‘What a jerk’ reaction, I’m unsettled by how to process this character assination in the greater scheme of Jon Heyman.

13. nickthebrain - Feb 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Maybe I’m wrong, but I just looked up Jon Heyman’s twitter account, and it appears as though the tweet about “using his brother as an excuse” seems to be removed?!?!

If so, that’s pretty smart considering how over the line the comment was! I think Castillo is a turd, but who in the hell does Heyman think he is!

14. schlom - Feb 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I once wrote Heyman an email about an error in his SI.com column (I guess I was really bored). He replied promptly but it was filled with spelling and punctuation errors. Unfortunately I didn’t save it as I wish I could show everyone what a near illiterate moron he is.

15. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I didn’t even know Boras represents Eckstein.

I wonder what would happen if Castillo were to sign with the super-agent…Would Hymen start tweeting his love for the ‘underrated gamer’?

16. baseballisboring - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Is it time for a “Fire Jon Heyman” blog yet?? I’ll gladly contribute a weekly article if someone starts it up…

• trevorb06 - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I’ll contribute too. Let’s get a fire Heymen facebook page going. ha ha

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester