Feb 21, 2011, 11:11 AM EDT
Jon Heyman’s recent tweets about Luis Castillo have caught my eye, as the SI.com writer seems to have a very strong dislike of the Mets second baseman.
It started with this bit of reporting last Thursday:
among overpriced #mets on bubble, word is ollie perez will get more time to show he belongs than luis castillo. #choppingblock
Fair enough, but then two days later Heyman wrote:
#mets should release castillo, bring in eckstein and immediately boost their attitude/karma
OK, now he’s moved from reporting to either analysis or campaigning for someone to lose his job (and to David Eckstein, no less), depending on how you choose to look at it. And just a few hours later, Heyman tweeted this follow-up:
i am sick of luis castillo already this spring, and im not even in port st lucie anymore (and neither is he there, by the way)
The “and neither is he there, by the way” part refers to Castillo not reporting early to Mets camp. He arrived by the time position position players were required to be there, but Heyman and several other mainstream media members repeatedly took him to task for not getting there early.
Later we learned that Castillo didn’t arrive early because his brother is undergoing emergency surgery that the second baseman called “a big problem.” He made the mistake of not telling the team about the situation and manager Terry Collins explained that he never would have brought up Castillo’s absence as an issue had he known the reason. But that didn’t stop Heyman from tweeting the following this morning:
luis castillo showed only yest bec brother had surgery, he said. a hospital make good for blowing off walter reed? #excuses
So, if you’re keeping score at home: Within the span of three days Heyman tweeted that the Mets should release Castillo for “karma” reasons, noted how “sick” of Castillo he is “already this spring,” and then linked Castillo’s brother’s emergency surgery to not visiting sick children at Walter Reed hospital last year, using the hash tag “excuses” about someone’s family member undergoing a potentially serious operation.
Seems like kind of a strange grudge for a reporter to hold and repeatedly make public, but I guess Castillo must deserve all that for arriving at spring training on the day he was supposed to.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)