Feb 21, 2011, 11:11 AM EDT
Jon Heyman’s recent tweets about Luis Castillo have caught my eye, as the SI.com writer seems to have a very strong dislike of the Mets second baseman.
It started with this bit of reporting last Thursday:
among overpriced #mets on bubble, word is ollie perez will get more time to show he belongs than luis castillo. #choppingblock
Fair enough, but then two days later Heyman wrote:
#mets should release castillo, bring in eckstein and immediately boost their attitude/karma
OK, now he’s moved from reporting to either analysis or campaigning for someone to lose his job (and to David Eckstein, no less), depending on how you choose to look at it. And just a few hours later, Heyman tweeted this follow-up:
i am sick of luis castillo already this spring, and im not even in port st lucie anymore (and neither is he there, by the way)
The “and neither is he there, by the way” part refers to Castillo not reporting early to Mets camp. He arrived by the time position position players were required to be there, but Heyman and several other mainstream media members repeatedly took him to task for not getting there early.
Later we learned that Castillo didn’t arrive early because his brother is undergoing emergency surgery that the second baseman called “a big problem.” He made the mistake of not telling the team about the situation and manager Terry Collins explained that he never would have brought up Castillo’s absence as an issue had he known the reason. But that didn’t stop Heyman from tweeting the following this morning:
luis castillo showed only yest bec brother had surgery, he said. a hospital make good for blowing off walter reed? #excuses
So, if you’re keeping score at home: Within the span of three days Heyman tweeted that the Mets should release Castillo for “karma” reasons, noted how “sick” of Castillo he is “already this spring,” and then linked Castillo’s brother’s emergency surgery to not visiting sick children at Walter Reed hospital last year, using the hash tag “excuses” about someone’s family member undergoing a potentially serious operation.
Seems like kind of a strange grudge for a reporter to hold and repeatedly make public, but I guess Castillo must deserve all that for arriving at spring training on the day he was supposed to.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)