Feb 21, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Justine Siegal has made a habit out of breaking down barriers. She became the first woman to coach a professional baseball team when she was hired as the first base coach of the independent league Brockton Rox in 2009. She has also spent the past four years as the assistant baseball coach at Springfield College in Massachusetts. On Monday, she added another impressive accomplishment to the list.
According to the Associated Press, Siegal became the first woman to pitch batting practice to a major league team when she threw for the Indians earlier today.
Siegal, a Cleveland native who grew up rooting for the Tribe, was given the opportunity to throw after approaching general manager Chris Antonetti during December’s winter meetings. On Monday, the 36-year-old Siegal got to live out every fan’s dream, throwing BP to a few players in major league camp, including catcher Paul Phillips, Lou Marson and Juan Apodaca.
“I wanted to be Orel Hershiser,” Siegal said of the starting pitcher who played for Cleveland in the mid-1990s. “Following the Indians is in my blood.”
“My heart was beating really fast,” Siegal said. “I’ve been thinking about this for the last month.”
Siegal wore a patch honoring Christina Taylor Green, who was killed in last month’s shooting in Tucson, Arizona. Green was the only girl on her local Little League baseball team. Awesome stuff.
And just in case you were ready to say that the Indians don’t count as a major league team, you should know that Siegal is scheduled to throw batting practice for the Athletics on Wednesday, as well.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)