Feb 21, 2011, 1:45 PM EST
John Lott of the National Post reports that Podsednik is due to be examined by doctors when he arrives at Blue Jays camp tomorrow and there’s currently “no timetable” for his readiness for game action. According to Lott, manager John Farrell indicated that the team didn’t know about the injury when they signed Podsednik, which is surprising given that it was just last week and so much of his value stems from speed.
Podsednik is slated to compete for a bench spot in Toronto, but could also be an option as the Blue Jays’ left fielder and leadoff man depending on how the rest of the lineup shakes out. He can earn $1 million by making the team, so Podsednik’s decision to decline his half of a mutual option with the Dodgers back in November will cost him at least $1 million even if he gets healthy and wins a job. And with an injury that tends to linger, that’s far from a guarantee.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 282
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)