Feb 21, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
The Braves announced today that they’ve given General Manager Frank Wren a contract extension. He’s now locked up through the 2013 season.
This is not surprising. Wren has the full confidence of ownership and team President John Schuerholz. Some fans may agitate about various things such as, I dunno, the fact that the Braves haven’t had a full complement of capable outfielders for several years now and the fact that our big moves at the deadline last season was adding Rick Ankiel and Kyle Farnsworth, but Wren has likewise avoided handing out crippling deals and has made some decisive moves when the opportunity arose. The Dan Uggla trade is a good example. And really, his best work has probably been done on the minor league level where the Braves consistently rank near the top of the list in terms of talent in the pipeline.
It’s easy to be critical of the GM when you watch a team play 150+ games a year, but in the big picture, Wren has avoided big missteps and has generally done a good job. I don’t mean to damn him with faint praise when I say this, but the fact is that a team could do way worse than to have a do-no-harm, occasionally-do-some-good and always do the little things well GM like Wren.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 29
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 85
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)