Feb 21, 2011, 2:30 PM EST
The Braves announced today that they’ve given General Manager Frank Wren a contract extension. He’s now locked up through the 2013 season.
This is not surprising. Wren has the full confidence of ownership and team President John Schuerholz. Some fans may agitate about various things such as, I dunno, the fact that the Braves haven’t had a full complement of capable outfielders for several years now and the fact that our big moves at the deadline last season was adding Rick Ankiel and Kyle Farnsworth, but Wren has likewise avoided handing out crippling deals and has made some decisive moves when the opportunity arose. The Dan Uggla trade is a good example. And really, his best work has probably been done on the minor league level where the Braves consistently rank near the top of the list in terms of talent in the pipeline.
It’s easy to be critical of the GM when you watch a team play 150+ games a year, but in the big picture, Wren has avoided big missteps and has generally done a good job. I don’t mean to damn him with faint praise when I say this, but the fact is that a team could do way worse than to have a do-no-harm, occasionally-do-some-good and always do the little things well GM like Wren.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)