Feb 21, 2011, 8:35 AM EDT
Ben: That Molina was our last hope.
Yoda: No. There … is another:
Every winter, Gustavo Molina and his wife, Carla, seem to have the same conversation. She asks him which team he will play for. He tells her he doesn’t know. She asks why he switches teams every season. He tells her that it’s his job … Molina is not related to the renowned catching Molinas — Bengie, Yadier and Jose — though he sometimes jokes that he is. He does not have their pedigree, either. The last four springs, he has zigzagged across Florida, going from Port St. Lucie (Mets) to Viera (Nationals) to Fort Myers (Red Sox) to Tampa in search of work.
He is still searching.
How many times a year, on average, do you think Gustavo has to tell people that he’s not related to the other Molinas? Man that has to suck.
Good story by Ben Shpigel about what it means to be, like, the 35th guy on a 25-man roster.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)