Feb 21, 2011, 8:35 AM EDT
Ben: That Molina was our last hope.
Yoda: No. There … is another:
Every winter, Gustavo Molina and his wife, Carla, seem to have the same conversation. She asks him which team he will play for. He tells her he doesn’t know. She asks why he switches teams every season. He tells her that it’s his job … Molina is not related to the renowned catching Molinas — Bengie, Yadier and Jose — though he sometimes jokes that he is. He does not have their pedigree, either. The last four springs, he has zigzagged across Florida, going from Port St. Lucie (Mets) to Viera (Nationals) to Fort Myers (Red Sox) to Tampa in search of work.
He is still searching.
How many times a year, on average, do you think Gustavo has to tell people that he’s not related to the other Molinas? Man that has to suck.
Good story by Ben Shpigel about what it means to be, like, the 35th guy on a 25-man roster.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)