Feb 21, 2011, 8:35 AM EST
Ben: That Molina was our last hope.
Yoda: No. There … is another:
Every winter, Gustavo Molina and his wife, Carla, seem to have the same conversation. She asks him which team he will play for. He tells her he doesn’t know. She asks why he switches teams every season. He tells her that it’s his job … Molina is not related to the renowned catching Molinas — Bengie, Yadier and Jose — though he sometimes jokes that he is. He does not have their pedigree, either. The last four springs, he has zigzagged across Florida, going from Port St. Lucie (Mets) to Viera (Nationals) to Fort Myers (Red Sox) to Tampa in search of work.
He is still searching.
How many times a year, on average, do you think Gustavo has to tell people that he’s not related to the other Molinas? Man that has to suck.
Good story by Ben Shpigel about what it means to be, like, the 35th guy on a 25-man roster.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)