Feb 21, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles reported to the spring training complex last night but, instead of the expected team meeting, Buck Showalter loaded them on buses, took them to a movie theater and showed them a movie of motivational Orioles highlights including great plays and bench-clearing brawls and stuff. Britt Ghiroli tweets that the movie “went over very well.” She says that players said that “they were ready to play a game right then and there.”
I don’t know how effective this sort of thing is. But there’s no denying that it will be a better motivator than that time Dave Trembley took everyone to see “The Other Boleyn Girl” before spring training in 2008. Word on the street at the time was that the implausible juxtaposition of historical drama and exploitive girl-fights between Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson led directly to Radhames Liz sever control problems. True story.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)