Feb 21, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Travis Snider has sat out the early workouts in Blue Jays camp because of a rib-cage injury suffered while golfing last week.
Snider told Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com that he’s “taking a very cautious approach with the idea in mind that the ultimate goal is to be ready for Opening Day.” In other words, don’t expect to see him in the lineup when exhibition games begin shortly.
Snider has shown very good power through 183 games in the majors, smacking 25 homers and 40 doubles in 612 at-bats, but the 23-year-old former top prospect has batted just .255 with 180 strikeouts and missed two months of last season with a wrist injury.
Once healthy he’ll be the favorite to claim the everyday job in left field, but he may want to stay off the links for a while.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)