Feb 21, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Travis Snider has sat out the early workouts in Blue Jays camp because of a rib-cage injury suffered while golfing last week.
Snider told Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com that he’s “taking a very cautious approach with the idea in mind that the ultimate goal is to be ready for Opening Day.” In other words, don’t expect to see him in the lineup when exhibition games begin shortly.
Snider has shown very good power through 183 games in the majors, smacking 25 homers and 40 doubles in 612 at-bats, but the 23-year-old former top prospect has batted just .255 with 180 strikeouts and missed two months of last season with a wrist injury.
Once healthy he’ll be the favorite to claim the everyday job in left field, but he may want to stay off the links for a while.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)