When Hank Steinbrenners attack

Feb 21, 2011, 3:30 PM EST

Hank Steinbrenner smoking

Hank Steinbrenner, who somehow managed to gnaw off the muzzle with which he had been fitted in 2009, decided to unload on mansion-building ballplayers, the Yankees’ alleged lack of the “hunger” and communists while talking to the Yankees beat writers today. The highlights, courtesy of Marc Carig of the Star-Ledger:

• Hank called last year’s Yankees team unfocused, saying that they concentrated too much on “building mansions.”  He added that he wasn’t singling anyone out, but it should be noted that Derek Jeter is currently building a mansion;
  • He said that the Yankees celebrated too much after winning it all in 2009. This year’s team, however, has the “the hunger” in his opinion.
  • Finally, he blasted revenue sharing and the luxury tax, calling it “socialism.”  He said “communism, socialism, whatever you want to call it, is never the answer.”

How a team that wins 95 games and makes the LCS can be characterized as lacking “hunger” is a bit of mystery.  Why he would go after Derek Jeter like that is even more of a mystery.

But I gotta tell ya, I’m 100% on board with Hank when he goes after the communism that is Major League Baseball’s revenue sharing system.  Those other owners can’t accept handouts!  They ought to make their way in the world and pull themselves up by their bootstraps!

You know, like Hank Steinbrenner did.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM

He makes number two on my 2011 douchenozzle list. Welcome, Hank, enjoy your company my friend.

• baseballisboring - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Who’s #1?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

The person who clicked ‘thumbs down’ above.

• Old Gator - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Yeah, he’s almost as stupid as Luke Scott. Guess who the Borg’s next big free agent signing will be?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Oh right, he’s my #1. Thanks for reminding me OG. Of course Luke Scott was the douche nozzle that clicked the thumbs down above so I was right the first time.

2. bigxrob - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:37 PM

“How a team that wins 95 games and makes the LCS can be characterized as lacking “hunger” is a bit of mystery”

especially since they were the underdogs.

3. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:42 PM

“When Hank Steinbrenners attack”

Good god there’s more than one? Cashman and Hal have a hard enough time running everything with one nut on the loose. I can’t imagine how difficult it’d be with two or three.

4. cur68 - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Wow, and I thought Cashman was having trouble with rump jumping his players. Isn’t trashing Jeter punishable by law in the State of New York?

5. scratchbomb - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Socialism is not the answer–except when you want the city of New York to issue bonds to fund your stadium. Or allow you to build that stadium on top of a public park

• Jonny 5 - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM

dayummmmmm, If only the interviewer had thought of that. Then Hank would have punched him and made some real news….

6. heyblueyoustink - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I kind of wonder if this dude in his childhood spent hard time at a combination millitary/juvenile detention/fat kid camp in Ulan Bator……

• jwbiii - Feb 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Close. Indiana.

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM

If that were the case, I’d already be serving a life term Upstate and would never have been able to move to Chicago. I anti-heart Jeter.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:50 PM

yeah, this is @cur68.

• cur68 - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Man I’d love too as well, but I need a reason (damn my social conscience!). That guy’s so clean he squeaks. Anyone got any dirt so I can work up a good hate-on?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

We didn’t need true stuff, we just made it up. What we did say though, I can’t repeat on this comments board.

• Alex K - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Would I be your cellmate? I was hatin’ on Jeter the whole time I lived in NY. And now I live in Chicago, I’m amused by our similar paths.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM

You just earned 1027 cool points (and a thumbs up).

• umrguy42 - Feb 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM

So, would I just get 6 months then, for my total apathy about Jeter, while living upstate? (Hey, I’m a transplanted Cards fan… the best I can do is “the Yankees are Evil. meh” ;D)

8. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM

How can MLB owners be communists when they are ruled by Czar Bud?

• JBerardi - Feb 21, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Hank’s fear of commie-socialist plots is is what Louis CK has dubbed “white people problems”. That’s when your life is ridiculously perfect, so you just make up stuff to be mad about.

9. Panda Claus - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Where’s my box of popcorn when I really need it? Too bad I’m not closer to FL or I might be able to share some of ARod’s.

Listening to Hank and Cash speak lately has been more exciting that watching someone open up a propane bottle with a blowtorch. If you were to listen to the mouthpieces of the team you’d swear the 2011 Yankees have crash-landed before the season has even begun.

10. baseballisboring - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Well at least they have “the hunger”. Now if they could just find two or three starters…

• cur68 - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Isn’t ‘hunger’ why Joba the size he is?

• baseballisboring - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Yeah, I guess the hunger doesn’t work for everybody, at least CC’s figured it out…

11. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

None of what Baby Huey said was a mystery. I don’t usually call people names, but the man’s a belligerent derelict.

I wouldn’t expect anything less from the one guy who had the ability to potentially out-douche Jon Heyman on this day of days.

12. proudlycanadian - Feb 21, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I thought that both CC and Arod were both a bit hungrier this season since they have lost some weight. I wonder how long that it will be before they resort to the Fat Toad diet.

• simplicitymadecomplex - Feb 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Well not necessarily by following the Fat Toad’s diet but rather by eating the Fat Toad basted, of course. in Red Sox, sorry Red Sauce and done like a [Balt.] bird.

13. jh0088 - Feb 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Hank’s an easy target to mock, but he’s technically not wrong about anything he’s quoted as saying here.

• cur68 - Feb 21, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I don’t disagree with your comment but I think Hank Steinbrenner (& Cashman, too) should keep it in house. Why publicly crap on your players when they play well, are hugely popular and the season hasn’t even started? Now is the worse time for baseball writers; there’s no games to report on, Miggy only gonna get arrested so many times in one week, and you can only comment on Roger Bernadina’s guns so many times before allegations of man-love start cropping up (there I go again with another Roger comment. Well, he IS, really, the only player to report in legitimately the best shape of his life); as such everybody is DIEING for something to comment on. Hank needs to realize this because everyone of these comments gets jacked like the ball is after Pujols eyes a BP pitch up the middle. Honestly, it goes to show that inheriting dad’s business and wealth don’t mean you inherit his brains. I really don’t know what’s the matter with Cashman, maybe he’s mental, but both guys should stop trashing their players like this. It ruins team morale and we all need the Yankers to be competitive; it’s so much better then when they fall just short and keeps me motivated for hating Jeter for no good reason.

• macjacmccoy - Feb 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM

what are you talking about. I agree with everything you said early on but you lost me with” we all need the Yankers to be competitive” I dont need them to do squat especially not have them be competitive. I would find nothing more pleasurable then to see them fall way short. And to say it makes it so much better I dont see it. I think the league would be alot more interesting if the Yankees collapsed this year so a good team like the Blue Jays, who dont stand a chance to make the playoffs if the Yankees are there usual selves, would actually have a chance to make it. Or all the other teams in the AL who arent going to win the divisions but would have a real shot at the wildcard without the Yankees or Red Sox taking the spot depending on which one doesnt win the division.

• cur68 - Feb 21, 2011 at 8:37 PM

@macjacmccoy; your cunning argument and incisive logic have compelled me to agree. Keep running your mouths Cashman & Hank; I hear Texeira & Posada are both fatter and contemplating new wings on their places not to mention saying they’re in the best shape of their lives. Any comment gentlemen?

• pwf207 - Feb 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM

ways in which Hank is technically wrong: first two Craig already mentioned but here there are again
      1. no baseball team whose members were not focused on playing baseball as well as possible could reach the LCS and win 95 games and the notion that one cannot work at ones’ job and have outside projects like being part of designing one’s new home is absurd. People do it all the time in the non-baseball world, just cuz it’s Jeter and a mansion doesn’t mean he can’t do normal things like deal with renovations.
      2. same as first point.
      3. where he is most in error from a technical point of view, baseball under it’s anti-trust exemption is considered a single entity/organization, not a collection of truly competing franchises. therefore, any movement of funds among franchises is merely a decision about capital investment made by the officers of essentially one corporation, MLB, with the officers being the team owners. They have decided that it is in the best financial interests of Baseball, Inc. to allocate revenues to units within the corporate structure via the mechanisms of the luxury tax and revenue sharing. it’s not socialism as it is not the distribution of wealth among competing and separate entities.

14. 8man - Feb 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

So back to two eight team leagues? Contract fourteen teams and only keep the ones that don’t need handouts?

Interesting. Is the product as a whole Major League Baseball served better by being in more markets? Probably. Are some owners served by dividing individual revenue to teams that don’t have it? Probably not. The question is, would those exhorbitant revenues exist in a smaller major league configuration? I don’t know.

Where is an MBA when you need one?

15. jwbiii - Feb 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Well, MLB could get rid of their socialist/communist revenue sharing plan and do what the NFL does: equally share all television revenue.

• Kevin S. - Feb 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Problem is, the vast majority of MLB TV money is generated regionally, while NFL TV money all comes from the national contracts.

16. genericcommenter - Feb 21, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Well, I AM against welfare for Billionaires. But revenue sharing ain’t exactly that. As much as I love the Yankees, I am pretty sure they are big recipients of corporate welfare like all the other teams.

I don’t remember the exact total, but didn’t the Yankees get over $1 Billion in welfare for the new stadium? The Steinbrenners are big beneficiaries of revenue redistribution/socialism/communism. There’s certainly nothing American about taxpayers funding stadiums.

17. BC - Feb 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Given that the guy’s father just died of heart failure, the dude really ought to knock off the smokes.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester