Feb 21, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
Hank Steinbrenner, who somehow managed to gnaw off the muzzle with which he had been fitted in 2009, decided to unload on mansion-building ballplayers, the Yankees’ alleged lack of the “hunger” and communists while talking to the Yankees beat writers today. The highlights, courtesy of Marc Carig of the Star-Ledger:
- Hank called last year’s Yankees team unfocused, saying that they concentrated too much on “building mansions.” He added that he wasn’t singling anyone out, but it should be noted that Derek Jeter is currently building a mansion;
- He said that the Yankees celebrated too much after winning it all in 2009. This year’s team, however, has the “the hunger” in his opinion.
- Finally, he blasted revenue sharing and the luxury tax, calling it “socialism.” He said “communism, socialism, whatever you want to call it, is never the answer.”
How a team that wins 95 games and makes the LCS can be characterized as lacking “hunger” is a bit of mystery. Why he would go after Derek Jeter like that is even more of a mystery.
But I gotta tell ya, I’m 100% on board with Hank when he goes after the communism that is Major League Baseball’s revenue sharing system. Those other owners can’t accept handouts! They ought to make their way in the world and pull themselves up by their bootstraps!
You know, like Hank Steinbrenner did.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 25
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 44
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 48
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)