Feb 21, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
Hank Steinbrenner, who somehow managed to gnaw off the muzzle with which he had been fitted in 2009, decided to unload on mansion-building ballplayers, the Yankees’ alleged lack of the “hunger” and communists while talking to the Yankees beat writers today. The highlights, courtesy of Marc Carig of the Star-Ledger:
- Hank called last year’s Yankees team unfocused, saying that they concentrated too much on “building mansions.” He added that he wasn’t singling anyone out, but it should be noted that Derek Jeter is currently building a mansion;
- He said that the Yankees celebrated too much after winning it all in 2009. This year’s team, however, has the “the hunger” in his opinion.
- Finally, he blasted revenue sharing and the luxury tax, calling it “socialism.” He said “communism, socialism, whatever you want to call it, is never the answer.”
How a team that wins 95 games and makes the LCS can be characterized as lacking “hunger” is a bit of mystery. Why he would go after Derek Jeter like that is even more of a mystery.
But I gotta tell ya, I’m 100% on board with Hank when he goes after the communism that is Major League Baseball’s revenue sharing system. Those other owners can’t accept handouts! They ought to make their way in the world and pull themselves up by their bootstraps!
You know, like Hank Steinbrenner did.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39