Feb 21, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
Hank Steinbrenner, who somehow managed to gnaw off the muzzle with which he had been fitted in 2009, decided to unload on mansion-building ballplayers, the Yankees’ alleged lack of the “hunger” and communists while talking to the Yankees beat writers today. The highlights, courtesy of Marc Carig of the Star-Ledger:
- Hank called last year’s Yankees team unfocused, saying that they concentrated too much on “building mansions.” He added that he wasn’t singling anyone out, but it should be noted that Derek Jeter is currently building a mansion;
- He said that the Yankees celebrated too much after winning it all in 2009. This year’s team, however, has the “the hunger” in his opinion.
- Finally, he blasted revenue sharing and the luxury tax, calling it “socialism.” He said “communism, socialism, whatever you want to call it, is never the answer.”
How a team that wins 95 games and makes the LCS can be characterized as lacking “hunger” is a bit of mystery. Why he would go after Derek Jeter like that is even more of a mystery.
But I gotta tell ya, I’m 100% on board with Hank when he goes after the communism that is Major League Baseball’s revenue sharing system. Those other owners can’t accept handouts! They ought to make their way in the world and pull themselves up by their bootstraps!
You know, like Hank Steinbrenner did.
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 0
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 21
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 54
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 77
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 35
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (179)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)