Feb 21, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
Hank Steinbrenner, who somehow managed to gnaw off the muzzle with which he had been fitted in 2009, decided to unload on mansion-building ballplayers, the Yankees’ alleged lack of the “hunger” and communists while talking to the Yankees beat writers today. The highlights, courtesy of Marc Carig of the Star-Ledger:
- Hank called last year’s Yankees team unfocused, saying that they concentrated too much on “building mansions.” He added that he wasn’t singling anyone out, but it should be noted that Derek Jeter is currently building a mansion;
- He said that the Yankees celebrated too much after winning it all in 2009. This year’s team, however, has the “the hunger” in his opinion.
- Finally, he blasted revenue sharing and the luxury tax, calling it “socialism.” He said “communism, socialism, whatever you want to call it, is never the answer.”
How a team that wins 95 games and makes the LCS can be characterized as lacking “hunger” is a bit of mystery. Why he would go after Derek Jeter like that is even more of a mystery.
But I gotta tell ya, I’m 100% on board with Hank when he goes after the communism that is Major League Baseball’s revenue sharing system. Those other owners can’t accept handouts! They ought to make their way in the world and pull themselves up by their bootstraps!
You know, like Hank Steinbrenner did.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 39
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 44
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)