Feb 21, 2011, 8:21 PM EDT
In an interview with Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com earlier today, White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said that his club won’t go after Albert Pujols if he becomes available as a free agent following the 2011 season.
Hardly surprising information given that the White Sox signed Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko to multi-year contracts over the winter, but what was more interesting was what Williams said about the possibility of the game having a $30 million player.
“For the game’s health as a whole, when we’re talking about 30 million dollar players, I think it’s asinine,” Williams said in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. “We have gotten to the point of no return. Something has to happen. And if it means the game being shut down for the sake of bringing sanity to it, to franchises that aren’t going to stop the insanity, I’m all for it.”
Yes, at least for a moment, Williams appeared to advocate the idea of another work stoppage in MLB. He continues:
“Jerry Reinsdorf put it best when he and I had a conversation about it, he said, ‘It’s a shame that our game is played, and when the game starts, everybody plays under the same rules, the same 27 outs. The problem is, before the game, the rules are completely different.’”
“I personally, from a competitive standpoint, would love to be on an even playing field with everyone,” Williams said. “But it’s really difficult for me to complain too much when we still have a higher payroll than some of the others. So at least we have a fighting chance.”
Oh, so Jerry Reinsdorf wants a salary cap. Of course he does.
Williams must have felt someone tap him on his shoulder — or maybe he just remembered how the concept of a salary cap in MLB is a tired and silly notion — because he quickly came to his senses and attempted to put the genie back in the bottle.
“Wait a minute, didn’t I say I wanted it quiet, I wanted peace? Let me shut the hell up already. I was hoping no one would ask me that this entire spring training.”
Too late, Kenny.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)