Feb 22, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has an interesting note about Corey Hart, who had a career-year in 2010 while everyone thought he was wearing contact lenses the Brewers recommended when a spring training physical exam revealed near-sightedness.
However, after struggling to adjust to the contacts so much that he was worried about being released Hart says he “threw them away after spring training” and “never wore the contacts after the season started.”
Not following the team’s recommendation after back-to-back disappointing seasons is an easy way to get in the doghouse, but Hart made that a moot point by hitting .283 with a career-high 31 homers and 102 RBIs, boosting his OPS by 112 points. And in August he signed a three-year, $26.5 million contract extension.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)