Feb 22, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Every spring we get an early “Believe it or not, Player X might make the team” story, with “Player X” being some veteran everyone has written off or a comeback story or a precocious rookie that everyone thinks needs more seasoning. At least as far as the veterans go, those stories rarely play out. A month and a half of spring training wears them down or reveals them to not have anything in the tank. Or maybe the writer was just too optimistic in the first place.
I kind of hope that doesn’t hold for Jason Isringhausen, who gets his obligatory “believe or not” story today. I kind of like the guy and I think the Mets would be more fun with him on them. Long odds, though, given his medical history. Gotta root for him anyway.
Oh, and if he does make the team, Jason Bay is going to give him his number 44. And he’s not going to demand the standard cash payment or Rolex or whatever. How decent.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)