Feb 22, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Every spring we get an early “Believe it or not, Player X might make the team” story, with “Player X” being some veteran everyone has written off or a comeback story or a precocious rookie that everyone thinks needs more seasoning. At least as far as the veterans go, those stories rarely play out. A month and a half of spring training wears them down or reveals them to not have anything in the tank. Or maybe the writer was just too optimistic in the first place.
I kind of hope that doesn’t hold for Jason Isringhausen, who gets his obligatory “believe or not” story today. I kind of like the guy and I think the Mets would be more fun with him on them. Long odds, though, given his medical history. Gotta root for him anyway.
Oh, and if he does make the team, Jason Bay is going to give him his number 44. And he’s not going to demand the standard cash payment or Rolex or whatever. How decent.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)