Feb 22, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Every spring we get an early “Believe it or not, Player X might make the team” story, with “Player X” being some veteran everyone has written off or a comeback story or a precocious rookie that everyone thinks needs more seasoning. At least as far as the veterans go, those stories rarely play out. A month and a half of spring training wears them down or reveals them to not have anything in the tank. Or maybe the writer was just too optimistic in the first place.
I kind of hope that doesn’t hold for Jason Isringhausen, who gets his obligatory “believe or not” story today. I kind of like the guy and I think the Mets would be more fun with him on them. Long odds, though, given his medical history. Gotta root for him anyway.
Oh, and if he does make the team, Jason Bay is going to give him his number 44. And he’s not going to demand the standard cash payment or Rolex or whatever. How decent.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 134
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (134)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)