Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
Last year Carlos Zambrano was ordered to undergo anger management counseling after he nearly came to blows with teammate Derrek Lee and bashed a Gatorade cooler into submission during a dugout tantrum in June.
Today he talked about the counseling, telling Carrie Muskat of MLB.com: “It’s all done. I’m cured.”
Here’s more from the kindler, gentler (and no longer an Opening Day starter) Zambrano:
The problem I have to solve is when I get upset on the field. I think my problem is after I cross those lines. When somebody makes an error or I make an error, that’s my problem. I have to focus on that this year. Off the field, I consider myself a nice guy and people can talk about that. I don’t like to talk about myself. I got approval from the psychologists that I can be by myself. It did work, and believe me, that was an experience that I can take through the years.
If there’s a therapist in existence who can successfully stop Zambrano from acting like a crazy person on the field (and in the dugout) the Cubs should throw a parade in his honor and he should replace Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil as the country’s top doctor-who-appears-on-television-a-lot.
Check out video from today’s media session at CSNChicago.com.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 11
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)