Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EST
Last year Carlos Zambrano was ordered to undergo anger management counseling after he nearly came to blows with teammate Derrek Lee and bashed a Gatorade cooler into submission during a dugout tantrum in June.
Today he talked about the counseling, telling Carrie Muskat of MLB.com: “It’s all done. I’m cured.”
Here’s more from the kindler, gentler (and no longer an Opening Day starter) Zambrano:
The problem I have to solve is when I get upset on the field. I think my problem is after I cross those lines. When somebody makes an error or I make an error, that’s my problem. I have to focus on that this year. Off the field, I consider myself a nice guy and people can talk about that. I don’t like to talk about myself. I got approval from the psychologists that I can be by myself. It did work, and believe me, that was an experience that I can take through the years.
If there’s a therapist in existence who can successfully stop Zambrano from acting like a crazy person on the field (and in the dugout) the Cubs should throw a parade in his honor and he should replace Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil as the country’s top doctor-who-appears-on-television-a-lot.
Check out video from today’s media session at CSNChicago.com.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 103
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 9
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 34
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (115)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)