Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
Last year Carlos Zambrano was ordered to undergo anger management counseling after he nearly came to blows with teammate Derrek Lee and bashed a Gatorade cooler into submission during a dugout tantrum in June.
Today he talked about the counseling, telling Carrie Muskat of MLB.com: “It’s all done. I’m cured.”
Here’s more from the kindler, gentler (and no longer an Opening Day starter) Zambrano:
The problem I have to solve is when I get upset on the field. I think my problem is after I cross those lines. When somebody makes an error or I make an error, that’s my problem. I have to focus on that this year. Off the field, I consider myself a nice guy and people can talk about that. I don’t like to talk about myself. I got approval from the psychologists that I can be by myself. It did work, and believe me, that was an experience that I can take through the years.
If there’s a therapist in existence who can successfully stop Zambrano from acting like a crazy person on the field (and in the dugout) the Cubs should throw a parade in his honor and he should replace Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil as the country’s top doctor-who-appears-on-television-a-lot.
Check out video from today’s media session at CSNChicago.com.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 22
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 39
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)