Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
Last year Carlos Zambrano was ordered to undergo anger management counseling after he nearly came to blows with teammate Derrek Lee and bashed a Gatorade cooler into submission during a dugout tantrum in June.
Today he talked about the counseling, telling Carrie Muskat of MLB.com: “It’s all done. I’m cured.”
Here’s more from the kindler, gentler (and no longer an Opening Day starter) Zambrano:
The problem I have to solve is when I get upset on the field. I think my problem is after I cross those lines. When somebody makes an error or I make an error, that’s my problem. I have to focus on that this year. Off the field, I consider myself a nice guy and people can talk about that. I don’t like to talk about myself. I got approval from the psychologists that I can be by myself. It did work, and believe me, that was an experience that I can take through the years.
If there’s a therapist in existence who can successfully stop Zambrano from acting like a crazy person on the field (and in the dugout) the Cubs should throw a parade in his honor and he should replace Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil as the country’s top doctor-who-appears-on-television-a-lot.
Check out video from today’s media session at CSNChicago.com.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)