Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
Last year Carlos Zambrano was ordered to undergo anger management counseling after he nearly came to blows with teammate Derrek Lee and bashed a Gatorade cooler into submission during a dugout tantrum in June.
Today he talked about the counseling, telling Carrie Muskat of MLB.com: “It’s all done. I’m cured.”
Here’s more from the kindler, gentler (and no longer an Opening Day starter) Zambrano:
The problem I have to solve is when I get upset on the field. I think my problem is after I cross those lines. When somebody makes an error or I make an error, that’s my problem. I have to focus on that this year. Off the field, I consider myself a nice guy and people can talk about that. I don’t like to talk about myself. I got approval from the psychologists that I can be by myself. It did work, and believe me, that was an experience that I can take through the years.
If there’s a therapist in existence who can successfully stop Zambrano from acting like a crazy person on the field (and in the dugout) the Cubs should throw a parade in his honor and he should replace Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil as the country’s top doctor-who-appears-on-television-a-lot.
Check out video from today’s media session at CSNChicago.com.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 280
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 32
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (286)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)