Feb 22, 2011, 5:16 PM EDT
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe has an amusing anecdote from Red Sox camp in Florida, where NESN announcer Don Orsillo spotted an alligator in the pond behind the condo he’s living in and wondered whether it could be hunted.
J.D. Drew was eventually brought in as the expert, because he’s from Florida and, as Abraham writes, is familiar with hunting gators:
According to J.D., you can hunt alligators with a bow and arrow or a gun. Or you can use his method. Drew said he was in a boat with his son once when they hooked an alligator with a fishing lure. He had his son hold the pole and took position to try and leap on the alligator. “I figured I could get him myself,” he said. “He was about five or six feet.”
“With your bare hands?” I asked.
J.D. gave me his best “no, you stupid city boy” look. “I had a knife,” he said.
But the line snapped and the gator got away. J.D. missed his chance. So next time you read about J.D. missing a game with a bad hamstring and consider complaining, consider that this is a guy who was willing to jump out of a perfectly good boat and attack a man-sized alligator with a knife.
My dad once asked me to hold the hood of his car up while he changed the oil and I had to think twice about it, so it’s worth noting that Drew’s kid seems pretty badass too.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)