Feb 22, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Justin Morneau took outdoor batting practice against live pitching today for the first time, which is a big step as he continues what is now an eight month-long recovery from a concussion suffered on July 7.
Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com reports that Morneau took 40 swings, “hit five balls over the fence, and kept a light mood, joking with teammates and coaches.”
Morneau also fielded ground balls at first base and participated in double play drills, the movements for which have triggered the post-concussion symptoms in the past. He’ll wear sunglasses for all workouts to avoid any sun-fueled triggers.
At this point the Twins have indicated that Morneau probably won’t play during the first two weeks of the exhibition schedule, so he still has plenty of hurdles to clear before being in the Opening Day lineup is likely.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 72
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)