Feb 22, 2011, 10:32 AM EDT
After Pablo Sandoval, I think that Kemp’s weight may be the most significant conditioning story of spring training. No, not because he was fat like Sandoval or anything. But because I don’t think anyone suffered more last season from the perception that he was dogging it or lackadaisical or unfocused or whatever than Kemp did. His defense and base running suffered in 2010. That could be because of mental issues, but it might also have been because of physical ones. And no matter what the cause was, people were all OVER him for it.
If it was a mental block or something else altogether we’ll probably know once the season gets going. But by coming into camp slimmed down like he has, Kemp will at least buy himself a little more goodwill before anyone jumps on his case.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)