Report: Jose Guillen will retire if he doesn’t get an offer in the next week

Feb 22, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT

jose-guillen

Are you sitting down? Good. Call a friend, because I’m not sure you can handle this news on your own.

According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, Jose Guillen will retire if he doesn’t receive a contract offer in the next week.

“Today I have authorized my agent to explore the market and see if there is any interest in an outfielder and designated hitter,” Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com on Tuesday from the Dominican Republic. “If in a week no offers, then I will retire permanently from baseball,” he added.

If Guillen was anything close to a desirable player, I believe we could call that an ultimatum. Sadly, he is not.

Guillen, who turns 35 in May, was bothered by a neck injury down the stretch last season and finished the regular season with just one hit over his final 21 at-bats. After he was left off the Giants’ postseason roster, we learned that Guillen allegedly had packages of human growth hormone (HGH) sent to an address registered to his wife in September. The case is still pending, but considering that MLB could still levy some sort of punishment down the road, it’s unlikely any team will want that headache.

If this is truly the end for Guillen, he’ll hang ‘em up with a .270 lifetime batting average to go along with 214 home runs and 887 RBI over 14 major league seasons.

1. scatterbrian - Feb 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Peace

2. raffy7 - Feb 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I don’t know if other readers feel the same way, but I am so tired of every not-major news story on this site being reported in the same smart-ass way. The writer always has to lead with sarcastic comments about how this news is earth-shattering in an effort to show that the readers shouldn’t give a crap about the news. It doesn’t matter who writes it (Craig does this constantly) – It is always the same formula! Not every piece of news of low to mid-level stature has to get the same condescending treatment. It gets old.

I am not a Jose Guillen fan – as a person or a player. But still, can’t the news just be reported without the snarky tone every time? Certainly, sarcasm has its place and sometimes is perfect in presenting a story.
    I get that not every story is of the same level of significance. Albert Pujols’ contract negotiation is a much bigger new story than Jose Guillen’s possible retirement. Obviously.
    But, I don’t have to be reminded of that every time I read a smaller article.

• Elwood Larf - Feb 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM

That’s how it’s done here. There’s plenty of bland baseball commentary out there waiting for you if you don’t like it.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Dear Craig; don’t stop writing like you do. Don’t threaten to eat anything else. Th-th-thats all folks!

3. Elwood Larf - Feb 23, 2011 at 2:11 AM

I saw Jose Guillen play in a class A game once. He hit a home run. Then he turned into a schmuck. If it weren’t for the attitude, I think he could have had some success as a part-time outfielder/pinch hitter somewhere, but given his track record, I think that’s it for him.

4. elpendejo59 - Feb 23, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Might I suggest waiting for an AP report then?

5. kinggeorge96 - Feb 23, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I thought I was coming to NBC Snarky Talk…

Thats why we keep coming back, right? We enjoy the way Craig delivers this breaking news… why don’t you find your news at espn then?

6. Professor Longnose - Feb 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Guillen was overall an average hitter who had a couple of good years. But, hey, I would give pretty close to everything I’ve got to be able to hit 200 major league home runs.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2885)