Feb 22, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Are you sitting down? Good. Call a friend, because I’m not sure you can handle this news on your own.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, Jose Guillen will retire if he doesn’t receive a contract offer in the next week.
“Today I have authorized my agent to explore the market and see if there is any interest in an outfielder and designated hitter,” Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com on Tuesday from the Dominican Republic. “If in a week no offers, then I will retire permanently from baseball,” he added.
If Guillen was anything close to a desirable player, I believe we could call that an ultimatum. Sadly, he is not.
Guillen, who turns 35 in May, was bothered by a neck injury down the stretch last season and finished the regular season with just one hit over his final 21 at-bats. After he was left off the Giants’ postseason roster, we learned that Guillen allegedly had packages of human growth hormone (HGH) sent to an address registered to his wife in September. The case is still pending, but considering that MLB could still levy some sort of punishment down the road, it’s unlikely any team will want that headache.
If this is truly the end for Guillen, he’ll hang ’em up with a .270 lifetime batting average to go along with 214 home runs and 887 RBI over 14 major league seasons.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)