Feb 22, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Are you sitting down? Good. Call a friend, because I’m not sure you can handle this news on your own.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, Jose Guillen will retire if he doesn’t receive a contract offer in the next week.
“Today I have authorized my agent to explore the market and see if there is any interest in an outfielder and designated hitter,” Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com on Tuesday from the Dominican Republic. “If in a week no offers, then I will retire permanently from baseball,” he added.
If Guillen was anything close to a desirable player, I believe we could call that an ultimatum. Sadly, he is not.
Guillen, who turns 35 in May, was bothered by a neck injury down the stretch last season and finished the regular season with just one hit over his final 21 at-bats. After he was left off the Giants’ postseason roster, we learned that Guillen allegedly had packages of human growth hormone (HGH) sent to an address registered to his wife in September. The case is still pending, but considering that MLB could still levy some sort of punishment down the road, it’s unlikely any team will want that headache.
If this is truly the end for Guillen, he’ll hang ’em up with a .270 lifetime batting average to go along with 214 home runs and 887 RBI over 14 major league seasons.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 39
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)