Feb 22, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Are you sitting down? Good. Call a friend, because I’m not sure you can handle this news on your own.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, Jose Guillen will retire if he doesn’t receive a contract offer in the next week.
“Today I have authorized my agent to explore the market and see if there is any interest in an outfielder and designated hitter,” Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com on Tuesday from the Dominican Republic. “If in a week no offers, then I will retire permanently from baseball,” he added.
If Guillen was anything close to a desirable player, I believe we could call that an ultimatum. Sadly, he is not.
Guillen, who turns 35 in May, was bothered by a neck injury down the stretch last season and finished the regular season with just one hit over his final 21 at-bats. After he was left off the Giants’ postseason roster, we learned that Guillen allegedly had packages of human growth hormone (HGH) sent to an address registered to his wife in September. The case is still pending, but considering that MLB could still levy some sort of punishment down the road, it’s unlikely any team will want that headache.
If this is truly the end for Guillen, he’ll hang ‘em up with a .270 lifetime batting average to go along with 214 home runs and 887 RBI over 14 major league seasons.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 77
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)