Feb 22, 2011, 10:34 PM EDT
Contrary to multiple reports yesterday which indicated that Alfredo Simon was about to be cleared in the New Year’s Eve shooting death of Michael Esteban Castillo Almonte in the Dominican Republic, prosecutor Victor Mueses told Enrique Rojas of ESPNdeportes.com earlier today that Simon isn’t going anywhere.
“Nothing has happened to make us change our position. This is a case for public action and we do not plan to dismiss the lawsuit,” added Mueses.
A source related to the case tells Rojas that that Simon agreed to pay $70,000 to the families of the Castillo brothers in order to drop the investigation, but Mueses says a settlement would “in no way affect our case.”
While Simon’s agent Phil Isaac of the Para Sports Group told MASNSports.com yesterday that a ballistics test cleared Simon, Mueses says they hope to have the results soon. It’s hard to believe that these recent reports had their information so wrong, but who the heck knows where this case is headed next.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)