Your morning fat report

Feb 22, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT

Carlos Gonzalez rockies

Spring training games start this weekend. I am virtually certain that by then we will no longer be hearing about who’s fat and who isn’t. But for now I do feel duty-bound to keep you apprised:

In other news, I plan on taking my gym shoes and workout clothes with me when I leave on my trip to Arizona tomorrow. I will then place them in the closet of my hotel room, where they will sit for all nine days of my stay, unmolested by use.  When I come home I will sink into a leather chair, exhale deeply, tell my wife that “I really need to start working out again,” and then I’ll take a sip of bourbon.

What, you want me to lie to you?

1. Glenn - Feb 22, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Hey, I do the same work out as you, though I find Scotch a bit more effective for the lower abs.

• BC - Feb 22, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Ketel One. Accept no substitutes.

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 22, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Blackhaus if you really wanna feel the burn

• scatterbrian - Feb 22, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Drink Smirnoff and let someone else foot Ketel’s advertising bill.

• spudchukar - Feb 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Tito’s leaves it in the dust.

2. xmatt0926x - Feb 22, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I’d like to hear from anyone in the body-building community as to whether or not it’s humanly possible to add 22 lbs of pure muscle in 6 months. I’m not saying it’s not but it just seems like a lot of muscle to build in such a short time. I’m guessing there’s some fat mixed in there and he’ll probably lose most of it during the grueling season.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 22, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Like almost everything else in life, it depends. Depends on body type, depends on workout regimen, depends on what your body was like before hand, supplements taken (let’s not jump immediately to steroids/PEDs), change in diet, etc.

Also, some people have a lot easier time adding weight than others. And also let’s not forget there isn’t a lot of running in baseball, so adding bulk/weight isn’t as detrimental as some sports like soccer/basketball etc. So is it possible, yes. Just not easy.

• jetersusedjersey - Feb 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM

It is possible. Lots of lean protein, and tons of heavy lifting. If you make tons of money you can devote 4 hours a day to training and get the highest quality food. The average man can’t.

• sportsdrenched - Feb 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM

This all true. 22 lbs for guys with office jobs? Not a chance. With a calorie surplus, several hours in a world class gym, with world class trainers/nutrition people, and supplements it’s possible.

But I will say even with all that, 22 lbs is probably the maximum you could gain in that “short” amount of time.

Muscle is caloricly expensinve to maintain. Think about how Captain Caveman had to live. Food was scarce and the human body isn’t going to do anything that makes it require more food. Philiologicly we have not evolved that much. Our bodies do not like to add muscle.

3. apbaguy - Feb 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM

The other two questions are whether 22 lbs, or 10 lbs even, is sustainable through the season, and what detrimental effect the gain will have on speed. I say detrimental because as runners know weight is your enemy, sapping speed almost from the first step. For Daric Barton, not so much of a problem except he had 7 (gasp) SB’s in 10 attempts last year. If he gained 5 lbs net he’ll slow a step, and in the MLB that’s another out at second or two.

Car-Go’s situation is worse. That much weight can slow you demonstrably. Don’t think so? Run 50 yards and time it. Pick up a 25 lb weight and strap it to your back and repeat the 50. Time that. Much slower. Over time you can develop all kinds of knee and calf problems from that much extra weight added so quickly.

My guess is that Car-Go loses 10-15 lbs during the year because, as the posters above noted, it takes a lot of work to build and sustain muscle, and nothing breaks that down faster than running.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Can we please stop perpetuating this myth of adding muscles = bad for speed? Bo Jackson was one of the fastest players in the NFL and probably played around 230lbs. 100m Sprinters aren’t 160lb guys like the marathoners are (look at Michael Johnson, Maurice Green, Leroy Burrell, etc).

If you add the right muscle gains (legs/core), you can gain speed, especially if you work on fast twitch muscle groups. If you add 25 lbs of fat, of course you’ll be slowed.

4. Utley's Hair - Feb 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Did anybody lose pounds of muscle and gain pounds of fat? Like the ordinary baseball fan…like me? They’re all just a bunch of damn elitists.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4690)