Feb 22, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
Spring training games start this weekend. I am virtually certain that by then we will no longer be hearing about who’s fat and who isn’t. But for now I do feel duty-bound to keep you apprised:
- Carlos Gonzalez gained 22 pounds this offseason, but don’t worry, it’s all muscle, baby. Seems he didn’t want to tire out like he did last season. In this story is the often-overlooked fact that players — most of them anyway — tend to lose a bunch of weight during the season. In-season conditioning is probably a bigger deal than we make of it;
- Not to be outdone, Daric Barton claims he gained 15 pounds of muscle and shed ten pounds of fat. Wait, that is being outdone. Still, good show Daric!
- Finally, Francisco Cordero shed ten pounds of fat. Barton and Gonzalez scoff.
In other news, I plan on taking my gym shoes and workout clothes with me when I leave on my trip to Arizona tomorrow. I will then place them in the closet of my hotel room, where they will sit for all nine days of my stay, unmolested by use. When I come home I will sink into a leather chair, exhale deeply, tell my wife that “I really need to start working out again,” and then I’ll take a sip of bourbon.
What, you want me to lie to you?
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)