Feb 23, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT
Jonathan Lucroy, who is slated to be the Brewers’ starting catcher this season, suffered a broken right pinkie finger during drills Wednesday and will miss an undisclosed amount of time.
Fortunately for the Brewers, the injury happened early enough to give Lucroy a shot at being ready for the regular season, and since the injury is to his throwing hand, rather than his glove hand, he should be able to get in some work with the team’s pitchers in bullpen sessions next month. It is important that he be on the same page with newcomers Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum.
Lucroy, who arrived in the majors last year with just 21 games of Triple-A experience under his belt, hit .253/.300/.329 in 277 at-bats as a rookie. He’s penciled in as the No. 8 hitter in Milwaukee’s lineup.
Lucroy’s backup last year was George Kottaras, but the Brewers brought in Wil Nieves over the winter, presumably to step into that role. If Lucroy starts off on the DL, then Kottaras and Nieves would likely share time behind the dish.
UPDATE: Lucroy will need surgery on the pinkie, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy, and is expected to miss the next four weeks. His status for Opening Day is up in the air.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 6
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 54
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 40
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)