Feb 23, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT
Jonathan Lucroy, who is slated to be the Brewers’ starting catcher this season, suffered a broken right pinkie finger during drills Wednesday and will miss an undisclosed amount of time.
Fortunately for the Brewers, the injury happened early enough to give Lucroy a shot at being ready for the regular season, and since the injury is to his throwing hand, rather than his glove hand, he should be able to get in some work with the team’s pitchers in bullpen sessions next month. It is important that he be on the same page with newcomers Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum.
Lucroy, who arrived in the majors last year with just 21 games of Triple-A experience under his belt, hit .253/.300/.329 in 277 at-bats as a rookie. He’s penciled in as the No. 8 hitter in Milwaukee’s lineup.
Lucroy’s backup last year was George Kottaras, but the Brewers brought in Wil Nieves over the winter, presumably to step into that role. If Lucroy starts off on the DL, then Kottaras and Nieves would likely share time behind the dish.
UPDATE: Lucroy will need surgery on the pinkie, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy, and is expected to miss the next four weeks. His status for Opening Day is up in the air.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)