Feb 23, 2011, 6:26 PM EST
Jonathan Lucroy, who is slated to be the Brewers’ starting catcher this season, suffered a broken right pinkie finger during drills Wednesday and will miss an undisclosed amount of time.
Fortunately for the Brewers, the injury happened early enough to give Lucroy a shot at being ready for the regular season, and since the injury is to his throwing hand, rather than his glove hand, he should be able to get in some work with the team’s pitchers in bullpen sessions next month. It is important that he be on the same page with newcomers Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum.
Lucroy, who arrived in the majors last year with just 21 games of Triple-A experience under his belt, hit .253/.300/.329 in 277 at-bats as a rookie. He’s penciled in as the No. 8 hitter in Milwaukee’s lineup.
Lucroy’s backup last year was George Kottaras, but the Brewers brought in Wil Nieves over the winter, presumably to step into that role. If Lucroy starts off on the DL, then Kottaras and Nieves would likely share time behind the dish.
UPDATE: Lucroy will need surgery on the pinkie, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy, and is expected to miss the next four weeks. His status for Opening Day is up in the air.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)