Feb 23, 2011, 5:50 AM EDT
You know, I have to think that it’s somewhat demoralizing for Cubs fans that the team has decided to put Derek Jeter on billboards advertising single-game ticket sales.
Yeah, Castro is on there too, but if they really felt it necessary to put a second player on the sign it’s not like there aren’t other players on the Cubs about whom people can get excited. Carlos Marmol is pretty fun to watch. Geovany Soto may very well be a part of the next good Cubs team. Did they really need to go with Jeter?
Jeez, thinking back to the dark days of 1988, I don’t think even TBS used the Braves’ opponents to promo upcoming games. It was all “tune in Friday to watch Dion James and the Braves!” Well, they may have mentioned Dale Murphy once or twice two. And the occasional Rick Mahler shout-out. All I know is that they sure as hell didn’t put Darryl Strawberry in the ads.
Weak, Cubs. Weak.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)