Feb 23, 2011, 5:50 AM EDT
You know, I have to think that it’s somewhat demoralizing for Cubs fans that the team has decided to put Derek Jeter on billboards advertising single-game ticket sales.
Yeah, Castro is on there too, but if they really felt it necessary to put a second player on the sign it’s not like there aren’t other players on the Cubs about whom people can get excited. Carlos Marmol is pretty fun to watch. Geovany Soto may very well be a part of the next good Cubs team. Did they really need to go with Jeter?
Jeez, thinking back to the dark days of 1988, I don’t think even TBS used the Braves’ opponents to promo upcoming games. It was all “tune in Friday to watch Dion James and the Braves!” Well, they may have mentioned Dale Murphy once or twice two. And the occasional Rick Mahler shout-out. All I know is that they sure as hell didn’t put Darryl Strawberry in the ads.
Weak, Cubs. Weak.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 46
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 26
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)