Feb 23, 2011, 5:50 AM EDT
You know, I have to think that it’s somewhat demoralizing for Cubs fans that the team has decided to put Derek Jeter on billboards advertising single-game ticket sales.
Yeah, Castro is on there too, but if they really felt it necessary to put a second player on the sign it’s not like there aren’t other players on the Cubs about whom people can get excited. Carlos Marmol is pretty fun to watch. Geovany Soto may very well be a part of the next good Cubs team. Did they really need to go with Jeter?
Jeez, thinking back to the dark days of 1988, I don’t think even TBS used the Braves’ opponents to promo upcoming games. It was all “tune in Friday to watch Dion James and the Braves!” Well, they may have mentioned Dale Murphy once or twice two. And the occasional Rick Mahler shout-out. All I know is that they sure as hell didn’t put Darryl Strawberry in the ads.
Weak, Cubs. Weak.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)