Feb 23, 2011, 5:50 AM EDT
You know, I have to think that it’s somewhat demoralizing for Cubs fans that the team has decided to put Derek Jeter on billboards advertising single-game ticket sales.
Yeah, Castro is on there too, but if they really felt it necessary to put a second player on the sign it’s not like there aren’t other players on the Cubs about whom people can get excited. Carlos Marmol is pretty fun to watch. Geovany Soto may very well be a part of the next good Cubs team. Did they really need to go with Jeter?
Jeez, thinking back to the dark days of 1988, I don’t think even TBS used the Braves’ opponents to promo upcoming games. It was all “tune in Friday to watch Dion James and the Braves!” Well, they may have mentioned Dale Murphy once or twice two. And the occasional Rick Mahler shout-out. All I know is that they sure as hell didn’t put Darryl Strawberry in the ads.
Weak, Cubs. Weak.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)