Feb 23, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT
Veteran right-hander Kevin Millwood served as the Orioles’ Opening Day starter last season. Things didn’t exactly go smoothly for him in his one year with Baltimore, but it’s crazy to think of where he was then and where he is now.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun caught up with the free agent on Wednesday. He’s working out in Southern California at super agent Scott Boras’ training facility, waiting for an opportunity that he is comfortable with to suddenly come along.
Millwood rejected a minor league contract offer from the Yankees earlier this month because they weren’t willing to guarantee him a big league roster spot. It seemed a bit odd at the time that the 36-year-old would pass up a chance to potentially play in pinstripes, but he may be in luck now.
The Cardinals lost ace right-hander Adam Wainwright to a significant elbow injury this week. Wainwright is expected to undergo Tommy John surgery and the Cards will be on the hunt for a replacement.
Millwood posted a poor 5.16 ERA across 31 starts last year for the O’s, but he is about as durable as it gets and could probably eat some innings in St. Louis under the guidance of reclamation expert Dave Duncan.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 16
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 57
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)