Feb 23, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT
Veteran right-hander Kevin Millwood served as the Orioles’ Opening Day starter last season. Things didn’t exactly go smoothly for him in his one year with Baltimore, but it’s crazy to think of where he was then and where he is now.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun caught up with the free agent on Wednesday. He’s working out in Southern California at super agent Scott Boras’ training facility, waiting for an opportunity that he is comfortable with to suddenly come along.
Millwood rejected a minor league contract offer from the Yankees earlier this month because they weren’t willing to guarantee him a big league roster spot. It seemed a bit odd at the time that the 36-year-old would pass up a chance to potentially play in pinstripes, but he may be in luck now.
The Cardinals lost ace right-hander Adam Wainwright to a significant elbow injury this week. Wainwright is expected to undergo Tommy John surgery and the Cards will be on the hunt for a replacement.
Millwood posted a poor 5.16 ERA across 31 starts last year for the O’s, but he is about as durable as it gets and could probably eat some innings in St. Louis under the guidance of reclamation expert Dave Duncan.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)