Feb 23, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT
Veteran right-hander Kevin Millwood served as the Orioles’ Opening Day starter last season. Things didn’t exactly go smoothly for him in his one year with Baltimore, but it’s crazy to think of where he was then and where he is now.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun caught up with the free agent on Wednesday. He’s working out in Southern California at super agent Scott Boras’ training facility, waiting for an opportunity that he is comfortable with to suddenly come along.
Millwood rejected a minor league contract offer from the Yankees earlier this month because they weren’t willing to guarantee him a big league roster spot. It seemed a bit odd at the time that the 36-year-old would pass up a chance to potentially play in pinstripes, but he may be in luck now.
The Cardinals lost ace right-hander Adam Wainwright to a significant elbow injury this week. Wainwright is expected to undergo Tommy John surgery and the Cards will be on the hunt for a replacement.
Millwood posted a poor 5.16 ERA across 31 starts last year for the O’s, but he is about as durable as it gets and could probably eat some innings in St. Louis under the guidance of reclamation expert Dave Duncan.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)