Feb 23, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT
Veteran right-hander Kevin Millwood served as the Orioles’ Opening Day starter last season. Things didn’t exactly go smoothly for him in his one year with Baltimore, but it’s crazy to think of where he was then and where he is now.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun caught up with the free agent on Wednesday. He’s working out in Southern California at super agent Scott Boras’ training facility, waiting for an opportunity that he is comfortable with to suddenly come along.
Millwood rejected a minor league contract offer from the Yankees earlier this month because they weren’t willing to guarantee him a big league roster spot. It seemed a bit odd at the time that the 36-year-old would pass up a chance to potentially play in pinstripes, but he may be in luck now.
The Cardinals lost ace right-hander Adam Wainwright to a significant elbow injury this week. Wainwright is expected to undergo Tommy John surgery and the Cards will be on the hunt for a replacement.
Millwood posted a poor 5.16 ERA across 31 starts last year for the O’s, but he is about as durable as it gets and could probably eat some innings in St. Louis under the guidance of reclamation expert Dave Duncan.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 27
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)