Feb 23, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
Paulino was handed a 50-game suspension from MLB near the end of the 2010 season after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug. New Mets general manager Sandy Alderson is telling reporters that the current delay has at least something to do with that positive test.
It’s not known when the 29-year-old catcher might be cleared to travel to Port St. Lucie, Florida.
Paulino inked a one-year, $1.3 million contract this winter and is expected to serve as a backup to Josh Thole this year. A career .273/.328/.383 hitter, Paulino posted a .665 OPS, four home runs and 37 RBI across 344 plate appearances last season for the Marlins. He still has eight games left on his suspension.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)