Feb 24, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
Brandon Webb threw 60-65 pitches off flat ground Thursday, ESPN Dallas’ Richard Durrett reports, and appears to be on pace to return to the mound early next week.
Webb was taken off the mound after showing little velocity in his first bullpen session last week, putting his status for the beginning of the season in jeopardy. The Rangers seem happy with his progress since, though.
“Wow,” manager Ron Washington said after watching him throw today. “The ball was coming out of his hand really good. The arm strength is picking up.”
Webb underwent shoulder surgery in 2009 and hasn’t pitched in the majors since. If healthy, he’s slated to have a spot at the back of the Rangers rotation this season.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)