Feb 24, 2011, 2:50 PM EST
Brandon Webb threw 60-65 pitches off flat ground Thursday, ESPN Dallas’ Richard Durrett reports, and appears to be on pace to return to the mound early next week.
Webb was taken off the mound after showing little velocity in his first bullpen session last week, putting his status for the beginning of the season in jeopardy. The Rangers seem happy with his progress since, though.
“Wow,” manager Ron Washington said after watching him throw today. “The ball was coming out of his hand really good. The arm strength is picking up.”
Webb underwent shoulder surgery in 2009 and hasn’t pitched in the majors since. If healthy, he’s slated to have a spot at the back of the Rangers rotation this season.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)