Feb 24, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
Albert Pujols‘ impending free agency and Adam Wainwright‘s season-ending elbow injury have people thinking all sorts of crazy things about the Cardinals right now, so naturally Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com asked Chris Carpenter what his reaction would be if the team attempted to trade him.
Carpenter has 10 years of service time, including five years with the same team, so he’s able to block any trade. However, the former Cy Young winner–who himself came back from Tommy John surgery in 2007–said he definitely wants to remain in St. Louis but also wouldn’t veto a move:
It’s not up to me. If the Cardinals wanted to trade me, obviously I would go. There’s no question about that. I’m not going hold back or veto or do anything like that if they’re looking to move me. I’m not concerned about, though. I’m concerned about getting myself ready to pitch at the beginning of the season.
The “it’s not up to me” part is a little confusing, since he does have the ability to accept or decline any potential trade, but clearly Carpenter isn’t interested is taking advantage of his 10-and-5 rights if it comes to that. He’ll be 36 years old in April and St. Louis holds a $15 million option or $1 million buyout for 2012, so if the Cardinals aren’t able to withstand the loss of Wainwright and fall out of contention it would certainly make sense that they’d look to shop Carpenter. Until that happens, though, the speculation is mostly pointless.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)