Feb 24, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
Albert Pujols‘ impending free agency and Adam Wainwright‘s season-ending elbow injury have people thinking all sorts of crazy things about the Cardinals right now, so naturally Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com asked Chris Carpenter what his reaction would be if the team attempted to trade him.
Carpenter has 10 years of service time, including five years with the same team, so he’s able to block any trade. However, the former Cy Young winner–who himself came back from Tommy John surgery in 2007–said he definitely wants to remain in St. Louis but also wouldn’t veto a move:
It’s not up to me. If the Cardinals wanted to trade me, obviously I would go. There’s no question about that. I’m not going hold back or veto or do anything like that if they’re looking to move me. I’m not concerned about, though. I’m concerned about getting myself ready to pitch at the beginning of the season.
The “it’s not up to me” part is a little confusing, since he does have the ability to accept or decline any potential trade, but clearly Carpenter isn’t interested is taking advantage of his 10-and-5 rights if it comes to that. He’ll be 36 years old in April and St. Louis holds a $15 million option or $1 million buyout for 2012, so if the Cardinals aren’t able to withstand the loss of Wainwright and fall out of contention it would certainly make sense that they’d look to shop Carpenter. Until that happens, though, the speculation is mostly pointless.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)