Feb 24, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
Albert Pujols‘ impending free agency and Adam Wainwright‘s season-ending elbow injury have people thinking all sorts of crazy things about the Cardinals right now, so naturally Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com asked Chris Carpenter what his reaction would be if the team attempted to trade him.
Carpenter has 10 years of service time, including five years with the same team, so he’s able to block any trade. However, the former Cy Young winner–who himself came back from Tommy John surgery in 2007–said he definitely wants to remain in St. Louis but also wouldn’t veto a move:
It’s not up to me. If the Cardinals wanted to trade me, obviously I would go. There’s no question about that. I’m not going hold back or veto or do anything like that if they’re looking to move me. I’m not concerned about, though. I’m concerned about getting myself ready to pitch at the beginning of the season.
The “it’s not up to me” part is a little confusing, since he does have the ability to accept or decline any potential trade, but clearly Carpenter isn’t interested is taking advantage of his 10-and-5 rights if it comes to that. He’ll be 36 years old in April and St. Louis holds a $15 million option or $1 million buyout for 2012, so if the Cardinals aren’t able to withstand the loss of Wainwright and fall out of contention it would certainly make sense that they’d look to shop Carpenter. Until that happens, though, the speculation is mostly pointless.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 44
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)