Feb 24, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
Albert Pujols‘ impending free agency and Adam Wainwright‘s season-ending elbow injury have people thinking all sorts of crazy things about the Cardinals right now, so naturally Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com asked Chris Carpenter what his reaction would be if the team attempted to trade him.
Carpenter has 10 years of service time, including five years with the same team, so he’s able to block any trade. However, the former Cy Young winner–who himself came back from Tommy John surgery in 2007–said he definitely wants to remain in St. Louis but also wouldn’t veto a move:
It’s not up to me. If the Cardinals wanted to trade me, obviously I would go. There’s no question about that. I’m not going hold back or veto or do anything like that if they’re looking to move me. I’m not concerned about, though. I’m concerned about getting myself ready to pitch at the beginning of the season.
The “it’s not up to me” part is a little confusing, since he does have the ability to accept or decline any potential trade, but clearly Carpenter isn’t interested is taking advantage of his 10-and-5 rights if it comes to that. He’ll be 36 years old in April and St. Louis holds a $15 million option or $1 million buyout for 2012, so if the Cardinals aren’t able to withstand the loss of Wainwright and fall out of contention it would certainly make sense that they’d look to shop Carpenter. Until that happens, though, the speculation is mostly pointless.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)