Chris Carpenter wouldn’t veto if the Cardinals try to trade him

Feb 24, 2011, 3:10 PM EST

Image (1) carpenter_090907-thumb-250x203-1794.jpg for post 1276

Albert Pujols‘ impending free agency and Adam Wainwright‘s season-ending elbow injury have people thinking all sorts of crazy things about the Cardinals right now, so naturally Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com asked Chris Carpenter what his reaction would be if the team attempted to trade him.

Carpenter has 10 years of service time, including five years with the same team, so he’s able to block any trade. However, the former Cy Young winner–who himself came back from Tommy John surgery in 2007–said he definitely wants to remain in St. Louis but also wouldn’t veto a move:

It’s not up to me. If the Cardinals wanted to trade me, obviously I would go. There’s no question about that. I’m not going hold back or veto or do anything like that if they’re looking to move me. I’m not concerned about, though. I’m concerned about getting myself ready to pitch at the beginning of the season.

The “it’s not up to me” part is a little confusing, since he does have the ability to accept or decline any potential trade, but clearly Carpenter isn’t interested is taking advantage of his 10-and-5 rights if it comes to that. He’ll be 36 years old in April and St. Louis holds a $15 million option or $1 million buyout for 2012, so if the Cardinals aren’t able to withstand the loss of Wainwright and fall out of contention it would certainly make sense that they’d look to shop Carpenter. Until that happens, though, the speculation is mostly pointless.

1. BC - Feb 24, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I’d say Montero for Carpenter, but the Cardinals don’t exactly need a catcher.

• uyf1950 - Feb 24, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Not going to happen my friend, even if the Cardinals needed a catcher.

• ngearhart1981 - Feb 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

And the Yankees would say you’re out of your mind.

• Nick C - Feb 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Montero’s not a catcher. He’s a hitter.

• Panda Claus - Feb 24, 2011 at 3:47 PM

If Carpenter isn’t building a mansion right now Hank might be interested.

• anybodyinhere - Feb 24, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Who better to build a mansion than a Carpenter?

• BC - Feb 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM

• phukyouk - Feb 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM

yea… lets trade a 20 yr old power hitter for a 37yr old Pitcher. there HAS to be someone older in MLB that the Yanks can pick up. of course this is only a good idea if we offer him a 6 yr 120 Mil contract…

2. uyf1950 - Feb 24, 2011 at 3:47 PM

It does make sense for the Cardinals to at least look into their options regarding trading Carpenter and what he might bring via prospect(s). After all the chances of them contending for the division much less the NL crown pretty much went out the door with the Wainwright injury. If they did decide to trade Carpenter he would be worth more to the acquiring club now because they could exercise his 2012 option. That would give that club 2 years control over a very good pitcher even considering his age.

• spudchukar - Feb 24, 2011 at 6:21 PM

UYF, my friend, I take issue with your analysis. Let’s say tomorrow CC discovered he needed TJ surgery. Would you consider the season to be over? Time to cash in the chips? Yes, it is a setback, and it will be an uphill battle, but the Cards are much more positioned to overcome a Wainwright loss, than the Yanks would be a Sabathia one, and I am pretty sure no one in New York would be ready to dismiss the 2011 campaign.

• uyf1950 - Feb 24, 2011 at 8:13 PM

My friend, first let me try address your comment about CC and the Yankees. Even though that’s really not the point. If the same situation applied to the Yankees we all know they (Yankees) are not afraid to spend money and if necessary do whatever it would take (including prospects) to replace CC something the Cardinals do not seem inclined to do. My opinion. The other issue is the contracts of Wainwright versus CC. The Yankees would still be obligated to CC the Cardinals have an out and for all practical purposes only own Wainwright money for this year.
        I would be interested to know how or on what basis you think the Cardinals are in a position to overcome Wainwrights loss. Keep in mind it’s not like come the start of the 2012 season Wainwright is going to be ready to go. It’s more likely that he won’t be in uniform until after the All Star break in 2012. The point isn’t if they are in a better position then the Yankees to overcome the loss of their ace, The point is can they overcome Wainwrights loss? I personally don’t see how. Add on top of that, that Carpenter is on the wrong side of 35 and in all likelihood or at the very least there is a very good chance that 2011 may well be Pujols last year with the Cardinals. The outlook for the Cardinals for the 2011 season is not bright and looks even bleaker for the 2012 season. You don’t replace a pitcher like Wainwright with unproven prospects or relatively inexperienced roster players.
        My friend I don’t think any team or any fan should throw in the towel on the 2011 season before the first pitch (except maybe if you are the Pirates). But at some point reality sets it and decisions have to be made.

• phukyouk - Feb 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM

lets be clear…. if CC goes down for the season tomorow.. the Yanks are a 4th place team AT BEST. maybe even 6th.

• uyf1950 - Feb 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Guy’s I will be more then happy to discuss the state of the Yankee baseball without CC when that time happens. Fortunately for now that is not the case. The topic of this blog/article/comment section is the state of Cardinals and Chris Carpenter future with the pending FA of Pujols and the Wainwright injury. That was the only point of my original comment and what in my opinion the Cardinals should consider regarding their current set of circumstances.
        I’m sure if CC should decide to opt out of his contract with the Yankees come the end of the 2011 season we will have ample time to discuss as I’ve put it above the “state of Yankee baseball” then. But until then it’s a moot point.

• spudchukar - Feb 24, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Perhaps it is merely a difference of opinion, but I contend the Cards #2-#5 are considerably better then the Yanks. Granted Carpenter took a step backward in 2010, but he still ranked among the best in the league. Maybe age is becoming a factor, but a repeat of 2010 is hardly over optimistic. Certainly repeat performances by Garcia and Westbrook can be expected. While Lohse is certainly an enigma, the Yanks have their own in Burnett. If he returns to something close to 2008 form, we should have a stronger #1-#4 than the Yanks, and we will both be looking for a #5. I know I would not trade our #1-#4, without Wainwright for the current Yanks #1-#4.

• uyf1950 - Feb 24, 2011 at 11:21 PM

spudchukar my friend. Please understand my comment(s) never mentioned competition of who has the better starting rotation. I will be the first to admit the Yankees starting rotation certainly has it issues. Unfortunately I don’t know enough about the Cardinals rotation to even speak intelligently about them other then to know losing Wainwright is a huge problem and like it or not he is not the type of pitcher that can be replaced with in house options or via the trade market today.
        As for your comments on the state of the Yankees, keep in mind starting pitching while obviously very important is only one aspect of the game. There is the bullpen and the offense. In both these categories the Yankees are at the top of the “food chain”. So while the Yankee starting pitching may be in flux for the time being their bullpen and offense is not, and can for the most part make up for many of the starting pitching issues that may afflict the Yankees. Again my original comment(s) were not a comparison of our respective teams. Only the issues currently faced by the Cardinals.

3. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Feb 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM

And yet the Cardinals some how managed to compete in the Central last year after losing 2 starting pitchers in mid-May.
    The NL Central is wide open, 4 teams have a realistic shot at the title (Cards, Reds, Cubs and Brewers). Perhaps, the Reds (although their pitching is very young) and the Brewers have slightly better starting pitching. The Cardinals have Pujols, LaRussa, and the best pen.

• uyf1950 - Feb 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Were either of them named Wainwright? I notice Carpenter missed some time from mid April to mid May. Besides the first month or two the team schedules have some open dates in it so most teams can get by. But losing Wainwright for roughly 18 months isn’t like losing any starting pitcher. Besides the Cardinals finished 5 games behind the Reds in 2010 with Wainwright having a CY type year. His injury doesn’t bod well for the Cardinals chances in 2011.

• uyf1950 - Feb 24, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I want to be clear I’m referring to Carpenter missed time in 2009 from mid April to mid May above. Not 2010.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5021)
  2. M. Kemp (3526)
  3. J. Upton (2754)
  4. J. Kang (2751)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2668)
  1. C. McGehee (2663)