Feb 24, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez has left Mariners camp in Arizona and returned to Seattle to see a doctor about ongoing stomach problems.
According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times the Gold Glove-winning center fielder “has suffered from severe stomach pains since the second half of last season” and has been unable “to find out what the problem is” despite undergoing an endoscopy exam in Venezuela during the offseason.
Baker reports that Gutierrez’s condition is not considered serious at the moment and the Mariners are actually hopeful that he’ll be able to return to camp as soon as tomorrow, although obviously that depends on what, if anything, the doctor finds.
Gutierrez’s amazing defense was finally recognized with the Gold Glove award last season, but he struggled offensively and was particularly unproductive in the second half, which Baker speculates could be due to weight loss as a result of the stomach problems.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)