Feb 24, 2011, 4:34 PM EDT
Consistent with our policy, over the past several days Miguel Cabrera has been evaluated by representatives of the Treatment Board jointly operated by the commissioner’s office and the MLBPA.
Our Treatment Board is staffed by outstanding doctors who are experts in dealing with addiction issues. Mr. Cabrera has voluntarily cooperated and has been completely forthcoming in this process.
As a result of the evaluation, the Treatment Board has recommended a multifaceted, professionally administered program for Mr. Cabrera, which will include supervision as is necessary to ensure that he adheres to his program.
Mr. Cabrera understands the importance of this program and is fully committed to the program. He also understands that any future alcohol-related incidents could involve more serious consequences.
In other words he’ll enter some sort of supervised program, the details of which aren’t clear, and will not be punished by MLB or the Tigers at this time. He’s expected to participate fully in team workouts as soon as tomorrow and should be ready for game action next week.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 38
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)