Feb 24, 2011, 3:55 PM EST
Left-hander Felix Doubront, one of Boston’s top prospects, has been shut down for 10-14 days because of elbow tightness, manager Terry Francona said Thursday.
Doubront was nominally in the running for a spot in the Red Sox bullpen, but he was expected to begin the season at the top of Triple-A Pawtucket’s rotation. The 23-year-old went 2-2 with a 4.32 ERA and a 23/10 K/BB ratio in 25 innings for the Red Sox last year. He started three games and picked up saves in two of his nine relief appearances.
A healthy Doubront appeared to be second in line for any spots in Boston’s rotation that opened up this season. Tim Wakefield would have first dibs.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)