Feb 24, 2011, 3:55 PM EDT
Left-hander Felix Doubront, one of Boston’s top prospects, has been shut down for 10-14 days because of elbow tightness, manager Terry Francona said Thursday.
Doubront was nominally in the running for a spot in the Red Sox bullpen, but he was expected to begin the season at the top of Triple-A Pawtucket’s rotation. The 23-year-old went 2-2 with a 4.32 ERA and a 23/10 K/BB ratio in 25 innings for the Red Sox last year. He started three games and picked up saves in two of his nine relief appearances.
A healthy Doubront appeared to be second in line for any spots in Boston’s rotation that opened up this season. Tim Wakefield would have first dibs.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)