Feb 24, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Rich Hill had success as a starter in his first two seasons, but injuries and ineffectiveness have doomed him in the three years since then and now he’s trying to win a spot in the Red Sox’s bullpen with the help of a new arm slot.
Hill, who used to throw from the three-quarters level as a starter, has dropped down to sidearm level in an effort to be more effective against left-handed batters.
John Farrell made the suggestion to Hill late last season prior to switching jobs from Red Sox pitching coach to Blue Jays manager, and yesterday Hill told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal that “it just feels like it’s a natural thing.”
Terry Francona has been impressed, noting that the lower arm slot coming out of a 6-foot-5 frame “makes left-handed hitters give” in the batters’ box, but Hill is likely still facing an uphill battle to win a spot on the Opening Day pitching staff after the Red Sox re-signed left-hander Hideki Okajima and also brought in veteran southpaw specialist Dennys Reyes.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)