Feb 24, 2011, 8:20 AM EDT
Maybe that goes without saying, but given that a great number of Phillies fans half-jokingly — at least I hope it was half-jokingly – proposed a silly Joe Blanton-for-Colby Rasums trade after hearing about Adam Wainwright‘s injury yesterday, it’s probably wise that Ruben Amaro put the kibosh on such nonsense immediately:
Whether the Phils would deal an accomplished pitcher such as Blanton to a league rival remains to be seen. Asked about Blanton on Wednesday, Amaro said, “He’ll be starting for us in the first week of April.”
Silly trade scenarios aside, there are two ways for competing teas to look at the Adam Wainwright injury: (a) as an opportunity to trade a pitcher on very favorable terms to a team in desperate need of one; or (b) as a cold-water-to-the-face moment in which you realize how just one damn thing going wrong could send your own season skidding sideways.
If you’re inclined to think in that latter, risk-averse fashion, you may be less likely to trade away a starting pitcher to a desperate Cardinals team today than you were yesterday. Because there, but for the grace your pitchers’ elbow ligaments, go you. And won’t you feel dumb if one of your big guns goes down and you don’t have a Joe Blanton-type to help stop the bleeding?
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)