Carl Pavano seriously considered one-year offer from Yankees

Feb 25, 2011, 3:05 PM EST

Pavano Yankees

It would have been tough for Carl Pavano‘s four-year stay in New York to go any worse and he’s one of the most hated players in Yankees history, yet after missing out on Cliff Lee general manager Brian Cashman offered him a one-year deal to return.

Even more surprising? Pavano told Kelsie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press that he gave serious thought to another stint in New York.

Ultimately there wasn’t much of a decision to be made, as the Twins offered him a two-year, $16.5 million deal while the Yankees’ offer was reportedly for one season and $10 million, but had Minnesota not stepped up their pursuit Pavano seems to think he would have been fine in New York and New York would have been fine with him. Well, maybe:

I don’t think [the past] would be a hindrance, but there would have definitely been obstacles. I’m not na├»ve enough to think that there wouldn’t have been things I would have had to overcome, especially the trust of the fans and maybe some of the guys that were there [when I was]. That’s reality.

I’m sure Yankees fans would eventually have warmed up to Pavano, at least somewhat, had he come out of the gates with a 2.50 ERA through two months or something, but short of that it likely wouldn’t have been pretty. He’d have been booed by the home crowd from the moment he stepped on the mound at Yankee Stadium, every bad inning would have been treated like a disaster, any injury would have been endlessly lampooned, and the “American Idle” nickname would have been constantly plastered all over newspapers.

Could he have overcome all that to have a solid season? Maybe, but I can’t imagine the Yankees or Pavano actually wanting to find out.

1. hgulkkcaj - Feb 25, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I’m glad he chose to stay with Minnesota. Every good team absolutely needs a guy like Pavano to grind through a long season giving consistent, solid, inning-eating starts. Without Pavano our rotation goes from questionable to the situation we have now with an abundance of solid starting pitching. Great to have you back!

• uyf1950 - Feb 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I couldn’t be happier that he decided to stay with the Twins.

• minnesconsin - Feb 25, 2011 at 3:46 PM

as a twins fan, I’d like to know where this abundance of solid starting pitching is. I like Pavano, Liriano, and Duensing. The Club is too dumb to see what they have in Liriano, they’re rather roll with the Baker/Slowey/Blackburn brigade. Those 3 guys are going nowhere fast.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 25, 2011 at 5:19 PM

What impressive about Baker/Slowey/Blackburn is that it’s really one dude.

• byjiminy - Feb 25, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Baker is really good. He played hurt last year and had minor surgery when the season ended. If he’s healthy I expect a big year.

Slowey has often been good. Blackburn is occasionally good. For your fourth, fifth, and sixth pitchers, they are way above average.

I think Duensing could be due for a fall, and Blackburn is always teetering, but they are way better than most people’s fifth starter.

2. trevorb06 - Feb 25, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I’ll keep Pavario on the Twin’s any day. He’s been nothing but solid for us.

3. Gobias Industries - Feb 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Dude probably would’ve broken a nail as he was signing that Yankees contract and immediately gone on the 60-day DL.

4. missthemexpos - Feb 25, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Going back to the Yankees would have meant shaving the mustache, and that would have been the end of Pavano’s mojo. How about going back to Yankee stadium and winning a playoff game this October.

• bigharold - Feb 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Nope. Moose-stashes are OK. Beards, nada!

5. baseballstars - Feb 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM

As much as I know the Yankees need pitching, HELL F#$^ING NO to Carl Pavano. There’s no pride in not fighting through injuries. Although Cashman is ultimately to blame for signing him to a ridiculous contract (something that has happened quite often in the Cashman era), I still hold it against him that it didn’t seem like he tried his best to overcome his injuries and get out on the field until his final season (hoping to get a contract from someone else). I know that opinion is full of speculation, and I usually shy away from it, but not here.

6. henryd3rd - Feb 25, 2011 at 5:58 PM

It was a no brainer for Carl Pavano! The income tax ramifications of working/playing in NYC, the high cost of living and the pressure to try and succeed in NYC. No Carl New York, New York is not he place for you. Just ask Javier Vasquez? Life is not better the second time around.

7. bigharold - Feb 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM

“Just ask Javier Vasquez? Life is not better the second time around.”

It would have been for Vasquez or Pavano provided they pitched better in Vasquez’s case or at all in Pavano’s.

8. BC - Feb 26, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Fear the Pavanostache.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4420)
  2. M. Kemp (3579)
  3. M. Cabrera (2850)
  4. M. Morse (2522)
  5. J. Kang (2337)
  1. J. Upton (2332)
  2. C. Headley (2132)
  3. A. Rios (2090)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1782)
  5. J. Peavy (1780)