Feb 25, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Cla Meredith‘s bid to win a bullpen spot after signing a minor-league contract with the Nationals was delayed right away by elbow soreness and now, after his surgically repaired elbow checked out fine, the side-arming reliever tweaked his back during fielding drills today.
Meredith has been a solid middle reliever throughout his career, posting good numbers despite a fastball that tops out in the high-80s because his side-arm delivery is very tough on right-handed hitters and he induces a ton of ground balls. He has a 3.62 ERA in 283 career innings, but struggled last season before having bone chips removed from his elbow and is no sure thing to earn a job with the Nationals even if healthy.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 22
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 138
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)