Feb 25, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Cla Meredith‘s bid to win a bullpen spot after signing a minor-league contract with the Nationals was delayed right away by elbow soreness and now, after his surgically repaired elbow checked out fine, the side-arming reliever tweaked his back during fielding drills today.
Meredith has been a solid middle reliever throughout his career, posting good numbers despite a fastball that tops out in the high-80s because his side-arm delivery is very tough on right-handed hitters and he induces a ton of ground balls. He has a 3.62 ERA in 283 career innings, but struggled last season before having bone chips removed from his elbow and is no sure thing to earn a job with the Nationals even if healthy.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)