Feb 25, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Cla Meredith‘s bid to win a bullpen spot after signing a minor-league contract with the Nationals was delayed right away by elbow soreness and now, after his surgically repaired elbow checked out fine, the side-arming reliever tweaked his back during fielding drills today.
Meredith has been a solid middle reliever throughout his career, posting good numbers despite a fastball that tops out in the high-80s because his side-arm delivery is very tough on right-handed hitters and he induces a ton of ground balls. He has a 3.62 ERA in 283 career innings, but struggled last season before having bone chips removed from his elbow and is no sure thing to earn a job with the Nationals even if healthy.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (129)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)