Feb 25, 2011, 10:59 PM EDT
We’ve heard nothing but positive things about Joe Nathan‘s rehab from Tommy John surgery until this point and we’re about to get the chance to see him back in game action.
According to Kelly Thesier of MLB.com, Nathan is scheduled to make his first appearance of the spring Tuesday against the Red Sox, less than one year removed from the procedure.
Nathan continues to throw regular bullpen sessions and from what Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com, he isn’t treating him much differently than any of the other pitchers on his staff.
“I didn’t hear anything negative,” Gardenhire said about Nathan’s most recent live batting practice session. “And Nathan feels great. He, obviously, has done fine. I’m trying to stay away from asking him how he’s doing every day. He’s had enough of that over the last year. So we’re letting him pitch and letting him be a part of it. I’m just letting him have a spring training and see what happens. I don’t want to get into that. `How’d we do today?'”
The most important thing is that Nathan is feeling healthy, but it will be interesting to see his velocity once he gets back on the mound. The 36-year-old right-hander averaged 93.6 miles per hour on his fastball in 2009, according to FanGraphs. He was reportedly clocked in the high 80s upon arriving to spring training last week.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)