Juan Pierre is a beast

Feb 25, 2011, 5:55 AM EDT

Juan Pierre

I got to the Dbacks’ camp pretty early yesterday. Earlier than a lot of writers did. But almost all the players were there before I was. That’s just what they do this time of year  And one player — Juan Pierre — was at White Sox camp earlier than all of the other players are:

One of the hardest working players in baseball, this is how his day begins every morning during spring training. He’s a man with an internal clock that’s always ticking, ready to rock well before the rooster crows.

“It’s just a routine. Something I follow and believe in. It’s kept me around this long,” says the speedy White Sox outfielder, who stole a career-high 68 bases in 2010, his 11th in the big leagues and first on the South Side.

Nothing stops Pierre from his early morning ritual. Well, except for one thing: The front door.

And that’s because it’s locked. Pierre gets to the clubhouse before even the security guys get there. Before 6AM each day, ready to work his butt off.

There is a lot of false hustle in spring training. Guys who reported to camp early, maybe because they’re truly dedicated, but maybe because they were bored. Guys who show up early each day, maybe because they want to work like Pierre does, but maybe because they want to hang out in the clubhouse and read the paper and b.s. with the guys as they stroll in. The managers know who’s who, however. In this case the media seems to have figured it out too.

And in this case there’s an explanation for why Juan Pierre, for all of his deficiencies as a ballplayer, manages to put together a nice year every couple of years and why he always has the confidence of his managers and coaches. The dude works. And sometimes work makes up for everything.

1. Old Gator - Feb 25, 2011 at 8:45 AM

When peanut head played for the Feesh, he would be the first guy out on the field every afternoon for pregame workouts, batting and fielding practice, you name it. One of his favorite moves was to come out early and roll a ball down the first and third base lines to see how field conditions would affect a bunt on any given day. And he was just great along the railing with the kids. We were sorry to lose him, but then the Feesh fan is accommodated to player loss. Fortunately, Joeprodolsharklife Stadium is usually quiet enough so that we can mourn with dignity.

2. wonkypenguin - Feb 25, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I agree. When he was with the Cubs, I enjoyed him (and really liked not having to worry about him running for someone else). He seems like a genuine guy. So, most outs per year or not, he earned respect from this type of thing.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I disagree. Juan Pierre is a machine, not a beast. Beast implies large, muscular stature to go along with a badass regimen.

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Too reductive. Beasts come in all shapes and sizes. Is a weasel not a beast? Is a boomslang not a beast? A horned toad?

This little excerpt from Suttree, probably the funniest novel ever written:

“They tried to get me on beast….beast….
      -Bestiality?
      -Yeah, but my lawyer convinced em that a watermelon warent no beast. He sure was a smart son of a bitch.
      -Oh boy said Suttree.”

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I’ve never thought of weasels and horned toads as beasts before.

4. cur68 - Feb 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I disagree with machine.He is a beast. And that beast is the beaver. Jaun “The Beaver” Pierre (it even sounds French and all us Canadians know the beaver is French. Stands to reason. Those things are always clogging something up with their agenda). He’s a bit buck toothed; he’s got the same driven work ethic; takes small but precise bites; & ferocious with lumber (too ferocious, that’s why he’s always out). You go beaver.

5. stlducks - Feb 25, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Only a Canadian would mention a beaver as a beast…

• cur68 - Feb 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Ferocious beast, too. You do not want to get on the wrong side of the beaver, man. Kill ya.

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM

That’s because, whether as an ecological adjustment or some sublime regional genetic mutation, Canadian beaver really knows how to keep you warm. Cur68 knoweth whereof he speaks. Trust me on this. It’s a long way from Macondo to Montreal but I used to make the trip with a certain frequency for a good reason, and it wasn’t the dim sum at Ruby Foo’s.

• cur68 - Feb 25, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I’m more an aficionado of the west coast variety but I spent time in Montreal. Didn’t even notice that horizontal snow, howling wind, or nut freezing temperature due to the salubrious nature of said beaver. Ah yes, those were the days.

6. Old Gator - Feb 25, 2011 at 12:59 PM

French beaver without French…uh…attitudes. What could be better?

Though I must spot you points on your observations about BC beaver. Less fur, probably due to some interbreeding with the hardy Asian subspecies who came down along the Bering land bridge, but this only recalls what the immortal, though dead, Spencer Tracey remarked about the immortal, though dead, Kate Hepburn in His Girl Friday: “Not much meat on ‘er, but what’s there is cherce.” I keep hearing people talk about LA beaver or Atlanta beaver, but beaver is definitely bigger and better in BC, Vancouver in particular. I definitely had to work harder on keeping my car on the pavement and trying not to walk into one of those Gastown lampposts because my head was swiveled 180 degrees – a trapper’s life is never easy – in Vancouver than pretty much anyplace else.

• The Rabbit - Feb 25, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I must be getting old, Gator. For some reason, I thought that quote was from Pat and Mike. I may actually have time to rewatch the Tracy/Hepburn movies before the season begins. After March 31, I’m done ’til October.

• cur68 - Feb 25, 2011 at 7:35 PM

The Rabbit for the win. Here’s the link. I warn you, there’s a naked Penelope Cruz shot or two on this site. You’ll have to scroll past it to find the Tracy quote in the film Pat & Mike…(unable to hear rest over sound of stampede);

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto