Feb 25, 2011, 5:55 PM EDT
The Mets may be a big market team but they have big financial problems. Bigger than they’ve been letting on, it seems, because the New York Times is reporting that Major League Baseball provided the Mets $20 million to cover operating expenses last fall. Or maybe it was more, because the Daily News is reporting that it was $25 million. Either way, Fred Wilpon is a tad sensitive about it all:
Wilpon, in Florida for spring training, said on Friday that he would not talk about the team’s finances. Asked directly whether baseball had been assisting him, Wilpon walked away, saying he did not want to discuss the team’s finances with a reporter.
Remember last year when the Rangers got help with their operating expenses? How everyone considered that to be some kind of affront to fair play and market economics and all of that? Something tells me that a team with a $140 million payroll and its own cable network needing similar charity isn’t going to go over well.
Also: remember how Tom Hicks started out saying he was going to sell a minority interest in the team? And then had to take money to keep afloat? Anyone really all that confident that the Wilpons are going to avoid the same fate Hicks met?
*Correction: When I first posted this I had the headline in the future tense — as in, the league was going to provide assistance. The assistance came last fall. Sorry for the error.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)