Feb 25, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT
I thought that Jim Leyland’s claim that Miguel Cabrera was in the best shape of his life was the final nail in the coffin of my favorite spring training cliche. It seems, however, that Russell Martin is truly the man who took the BSOML meme out back and beat it to death with a large club.
Why? Because as Sam Miller of the OC Register notes, Martin has claimed, in one way or another, to be in the best shape of his life for four years running. But click through for the graphs Sam added and you realize that it may very well be that getting in shape is the worst thing that ever happened to Martin. Either that or he has used BSOML to mask quickly eroding baseball skills.
Naw, no one would ever do that, would they?
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)