Scenes from Spring Training: Alas, the games are a letdown

Feb 25, 2011, 5:36 PM EDT

IMG_1503

The nice weather of spring training is intoxicating. Sunrise at an empty ballpark is electrifying. Watching the ballplayers getting ready and running through drills is beyond cool. And then, just as you’re totally stoked, when the grills are sizzling and fans are settling in for the first pitch … you get a rather crappy game.

Hey, that’s the nature of the beast, especially on Day freakin’ One of the spring training schedule. If you come expecting crisp baseball you’re nuts. You just need to remember that bad baseball is better than good almost anything else and go with it.

So I went with it today, ignoring the fact that Tim Lincecum couldn’t get anyone out and that the defense was so bad that they didn’t have the error column lit up on the scoreboard. As I type this, it’s the top of the 8th inning and the Giants lead the Dbacks 7-4 in what has been a less than wonderful ballgame. But to dwell on that stuff would be to miss the point.

And the point is that baseball is almost back. That even if your weather sucks right now, you’ll be able to lounge in the warm spring air like these people sooner than you think. ┬áThat even if a nice hot stew sounds best tonight, you’ll be jonesin’ for this kind of thing in no time. ┬áThat you’ll soon be able to walk around looking like an utter fool in love with baseball. Wait, don’t do that. That’s just wrong.

It’s getting closer, my friends.

1. mharenza - Feb 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Phillies beat Florida State yesterday 8-0.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM

FSU let them win.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I hate everyone in the ‘like these people’ linked photo. I hope they all get pooped on my rabid pigeons. I dislike, but don’t hate, the dude with the multi-logo jersey. Those things are just dumb. I love baseball and would watch any team play any team, but c’mon, that’s just a bit lame-o.

3. cur68 - Feb 25, 2011 at 6:00 PM

My feet are freezing. I anticipate 20 below when I coax the dogs out for their evening walk (That’s in Celsius, too, not that fake Fahrenheit stuff either). I’ve spent the day doing thesis corrections and auditing this blog. Right now, looking @ those pictures is worse than sandpaper underpants for chapping my ass. Have a nice time Craig. Snow on Sunday in Arizona.

• cur68 - Feb 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Ah, hell, I shouldn’t be so negative. Baseball’s started. Life really will improve. Enjoy your hot dog Craig.

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM

The guy in the multi-logo jersey looks like he was having a visit from his mother, but the guard just walked over, said “time’s up ma’am” and escorted her out.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3950)