Feb 26, 2011, 1:15 PM EST
Brandon Webb threw off a mound when he first arrived to spring training last week, but Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux put him on a throwing program in an effort to build up his arm strength.
After a week of intense long-tossing, Webb is scheduled to get back on the mound Sunday for another bullpen session, according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News.
“I guess I showed them what they needed to see,” Webb said Saturday morning. “I know I can definitely see a huge difference. In a week’s time frame there is a huge jump in my arm strength.”
Webb is at least a week behind the other pitchers in camp, but he told Grant that he doesn’t think being ready for the first week of the season is an unrealistic goal.
“They’ve told me Opening Day is not the finish line,” he said. “I know I don’t want to go back to where things were last year, but as long as I’m feeling good, I don’t see any reason why we can’t push things a little.”
Webb hasn’t pitched in the majors since undergoing shoulder surgery in August of 2009.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)